Migrated Imatch and then crash...

Started by Rikard, July 31, 2024, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikard

Hi,
I have installed Imatch on a new PC. I used Pack And Go for the migration. But:
The problem is that I had just before a problem on my original PC with my a sync program - a large part of the files were deleted and transported to a folder from which I could copy all back which I did but not via Imatch...  I had Imatch started before I restored the files and now it seemes to have problem with the restoration in Imatch... Imatch started "Adding and updating files" but crashes after a few minutes.
As mentioned I have installed imatch on a new, very competent, PC but the problem is the same there.
Could anyone guide me back on the road? I suppose I need to make it work on my old PC and then reinstall to the new PC.

Mario

I'm not sure I can follow, sorry.
Please always include a log file (see log file) when you report an IMatch problem or even a crash.

I understand that you have moved your files to a new PC, also your database and IMatch settings.
See Installing IMatch on a New Computer for the general procedure and tips.

When IMatch is "adding or updating" folders, did you use relocate to tell IMatch that the folders are now on a new disk?
See Off-line Folders and Files
When you instead just add the folders again to your database, you will duplicate everything and all the new added files and folders won't have any categories or metadata added to the database - since they are new files.

When IMatch crashes, it produces a DUMP file (See The Debug Dump File). Does this happen?
If so, upload the file to your cloud space and send us a link.

If you don't see the DUMP dialog, something "used" by IMatch has crashed (e.g. a WIC codec) and Windows terminated IMatch forcefully. Only the log file will then provide any clues.

Since you've installed IMatch on a new computer, check that your virus checker is not blocking IMatch. Again, the log file will contain hints.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rikard

Hi Mario,
The problem might not be the migration but what happened before. A large part of the files was for some reason moved to another place. I think that was an error that occurred when I installed the sync system on my new computer. I moved them back to where they should be. That means that Imatch relocation tool was not used.

Here what happened:
Before I had recgognated the wrong location of the files, I opened Imatch. Something looked wrong so I closed Imatch and then recognized the wrongly location of the files, and moved them back. After that i opened Imatch again and then the problem witch Imatch crashing after one or a fem minutes.

I do the migration with the help of your instructions and think that that i is done properly, but I might redo the installation on the new PC after the problem is fixed on my old PC.

I do back up´s now and then and could step back to a backup - would that help?

Why does Imatch crash? The processor activity is very high,

/R

Mario

QuoteWhy does Imatch crash? The processor activity is very high,
You did not provide a log file, neither answered my questions about a DUMP file being generated.

I have exactly as little info as I had yesterday. Nothing I could base an analysis on. Sometimes users say "crash" when IMatch hangs. Sometimes they say crash when Windows terminates IMatch. No log file, no DUMP file, no info.

Please read my questions and try to answer them.

Maybe your new PC is just overloaded and unstable? IMatch utilizes all processor cores when indexing files, and if your new system is unstable under prolonged load like this, this might be the reason. Or its the virus checker. Or WIC is crashing. Or one of 100 other reasons.

See log file

Make a copy of the log before restarting IMatch. ZIP and attach to your reply.
Switch to debug logging via Help menu > Support if possible so the log file contains detailed information.

If you have started IMatch when your files were in the wrong place, IMatch may have started indexing them. And it will try to index them on every start, since the update queue holds the scheduled operations.

Try to clear the update queue via Database > Tools > Clear Processing Queues.

Or, probably better, restore the last backup of the database before the mess with the files being in the wrong place and then been moved back happened.

Then copy the backup of the database to the new system and use the RELOCATE command to tell IMatch that the files are now on a new disk. See Off-line Folders and Files
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rikard

Hi Mario, sorry - I was to hasty.

Here´s 2 log files, Backup2 is taken now, and the Backup yesterday. I don´t understand the difference in size as nothing is changed as far as I understand. Perhaps you can just skip Backup and use Backup2.
I haven´t got any message about dump file. Could there still be one somewhere?

I am fairly convinded that we now can leave my new PC aside and focus on what has happend on the old PC. (The Imatch on the new PC can easely be reinstalled as no activity has been there.)

/R

Mario

IMatch reports:

Database 'C:\Users\...\Documents\data\div_arkiv\Backupsystem\imatch\IMatch Database.imd5' for thread 26C0 (9920) shared cache 0  Database file read-only/on read-only media. Read-only requested.

You have enabled the option (Database menu > Tools) to open the database in read-only mode.
No changes can be done to this database and many features in IMatch are disabled.
Was this by accident?

The log file ends with this warning:

ETWARN:Warning: Can't write XMP to PostScript-format Illustrator files - D:/media/.../2004-01-22/*****_webbild.eps

Both log files show some additional warnings caused by the database being opened in read-only mode.
You will notice the READ ONLY indicators in the caption bar, the status bar.

I would first switch IMatch back to open databases in writable mode (Database menu > Tools) and see if this changes anything.

I see no signs of a crash. When you say "crash", what do you mean?
Does IMatch stop responding?
Does the IMatch window suddenly close (Windows(Virus Checker terminated IMatch for some reason)
Since you don't see a DUMP file message, the internal crash handler in IMatch was not triggered so IMatch is unaware of any problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rikard

Hi, two new logfiles attached. The read-only was only yesterday I opened that way to test and it worked fine without any problem - of course I could not do anything but it didn´t crash. I did swith back from that status but it seems to have had impact in the log file... Anyway the attached logfiles seems ok.

"Crash" in this context is a slow process during 1-5 minutes after launching. It happens after the system is up and running and the "Adding and updating" is initiated. Sometimes there is time to "Clear Processing Queues". The processor seems to work very, very, hard.
 and it seems one or two times to prolong a little but then a popup tells that the system is down - I have added some pictures also that might help to see what happens.

/R

Mario

IMatch tells you that it has to process 12,000 files, so it will be busy for a while.

The 3 log file shows only a short session. It ends when IMatch is adding an annotation container to the database.
In the 4 log file, IMatch processes files, JPG and NEF.
Automatic face recognition is enabled, which slows down the processing of course.

I see many calls to the DuplicateFace function, which means that versions are processed and you let IMatch propagate faces from masters to versions. IMatch is thus very busy.,

Then the log file ends.

I cannot understand the error message in your screen shot. Is that "does not respond anymore" or "stopped functioning"?
In the first case, your system is overloaded because IMatch is too busy. In the second case, something "outside" of IMatch broke (WIC codec) and Windows has decided to terminate IMatch.

Try to reduce the stress on your system.
Hold down <Ctrl> when starting IMatch until you see Advanced Startup Options (Recovery)
Use "Start without a database".
Go to Edit > Preferences > Application set the threads for import/metadata/face recognition to 2 each. See Process Control (Advanced Setting) This will reduce the strain on your system and maybe IMatch can then push through.

Ps.: did you know that you can make screen shots using <Windcows>+<Print>. No need to make actual photos of your screen with the smart phone).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mopperle

QuoteI cannot understand the error message in your screen shot. Is that "does not respond anymore" or "stopped functioning"?
The message is swedish and means "hat aufgehört zu funktionieren"/"has stopped working"
And then the usual (bullshit)text that a problemreport is being sent to Microsoft and you will be notified when there is a solution.

Mario

In that case, Windows has decided to terminate IMatch because, most likely, something used by IMatch, but external to it, has crashed. If IMatch self crashes, its internal crash handler is triggered and IMatch creates a DUMP file for analysis.

IMatch uses things like WIC codecs for reading RAW files (and cache files) and utilizes shell thumbnail handlers in Windows to extract previews for things like Affinity documents. And if the WIC codec crashes, or the thumbnail handler, Windows will terminate the "hosting process" which is IMatch.

All this is very rare and virtually impossible to track down. In addition to the overload / instability issue I've described, it could also be the virus checker. Do you use Windows Defender or another product? Did you check the logs to see if it reported IMatch as a process to terminate?

Did you try to reduce the threads as I suggested to reduce the strain on your system?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator