Workflow with Keywords and Color-ratings questions. (Workflow with external Soft)

Started by RobiWan, August 04, 2024, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobiWan

Hi,

Inspired by this thread LrC Workflow, I want to try something out.
In the settings (Indexing) I can specify that new images are added to a collection (Red,Green,or Blue-Pin) or to a category.
Is it possible to realize something like this in Imatch - if I assign a keyword, e.g. "finished", that another "editing" is then deleted? Or if an image is given a color marker, e.g. "yellow", that a specific keyword is then assigned?
I don't yet know what I'll really need in the end - it's important for me to be able to work with keywords and color markers in some places so that programs I work with can "react" to them.

Mario

Quoteif I assign a keyword, e.g. "finished", that another "editing" is then deleted?
This is easy to do with categories, I've explained that in the thread you reference.
There are no built-in functions that remove keywords when you assign keywords. Or assign a keyword when add/modify/remove a rating or label.

You can create keywords from ratings and labels using a Metadata Template.
You can even construct a Metadata Template that removes or replaces keywords, via a variable, I guess. Using replace for the no longer needed keyword to replace it with "nothing" and then appending the new keyword.

I have not tried this ever, since I have never needed something like this.
Mixing workflow stage with keywords does not seem to be a good idea to me.

When I need to use a workflow, I use categories. Not keywords.

Labels and ratings are independent from keywords and serve a different purpose. 
XMP labels are designed to implement some sort of workflow indicator (that's how Adobe designed them initially and what their usual names like "review" or "final" reflect). The XMP rating is designed to convey how "good" an image is, in relation to other files.

This all depends on your workflow. I cull recklessly so I don't really have a need for ratings. I only keep the 5's.
For workflow I use a set of color-coded categories for a decade. Works fine.

If I would ever have to persist workflow state in metadata, I would use a Metadata Template that uses the workflow category to fill some metadata tag. Maybe even add a keyword.

I don't, since I add metadata when a file is final, and only in IMatch. I don't trust other software to fiddle with metadata, except perhaps Adobe software. All other software does it wrong and trims metadata, strips or damages maker notes, does not synch XMP with IPTC, GPS, EXIF and similar problems.

Quoteit's important for me to be able to work with keywords and color markers in some places so that programs I work with can "react" to them.
Keywords and labels and ratings are stored as part of XMP metadata.
Every XMP-enabled application can read and modify these. If your other software does not, try to find something that does.
XMP is around for 20 years now.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RobiWan

Quote from: Mario on August 04, 2024, 08:36:55 PMWhen I need to use a workflow, I use categories. Not keywords.

The point is - categories and collections are only usable in IMatch. Other applications haven't nothing from.

Quote from: Mario on August 04, 2024, 08:36:55 PMI don't trust other software
For me other applications should only read and never write metadata.

Mario

QuoteThe point is - categories and collections are only usable in IMatch. Other applications haven't nothing from.
You can store categories as keywords, if needed.
Or use XMP labels, which are designed to provide some sort of workflow indicator and are stored in the image.
Or use keywords and a metadata template to add/remove them as needed.
IMatch gives you a lot of freedom and many features to deal with this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook