Is there a way to only enable face scanning in some folders?

Started by MrPete, August 27, 2024, 09:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPete

Face scanning is wonderful, when applied to photos with faces.

It's pretty funny, and a waste of effort, applied to flowers, birds, landscapes and more  ;D

I am likely missing a key feature of iMatch... how do I enable face scanning for just part of the database / folders list?

Mario

Just disable automatic face recognition (Edit menu > Preferences > Application). This is off by default as far as I know. Then run it only on folders containing files which contain faces? Running Face Detection Manually
Note that this does not impact images which contain face regions in XMP. If they are imported (default), IMatch runs face recognition on the regions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MrPete

Quote from: Mario on August 27, 2024, 09:48:35 PMJust disable automatic face recognition ... Then run it only on folders containing files which contain faces?
IOW, can't use the built in automatic face recognition if we load a mixture of family and other kinds of photos.

That's ok, it is what it is.  :)

Our simple situation:
- Photos loaded after "people" events go into one drive (organized by date etc)
- Nature photos (by far the larger volume) go into other drives (organized by taxonomy, or by geography for landscapes etc)

Eventually I'll learn the scripting language and develop other ways to get there.

Mario

QuoteOW, can't use the built in automatic face recognition if we load a mixture of family and other kinds of photos.
Well, yes. IMatch cannot know if an image contains a face before it ran face recognition.
If face recog causes a drag on your system or slows down indexing too much for your taste, you should disable it (default) and only run it on specific folder. Or at a more convenient time for a large set of folders. IMatch gives you the options to do so: Running Face Detection
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook