Nikon Capture NX-D Beta: sidecar files

Started by Sorted, February 25, 2014, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorted

Just released: Nikon Capture NX-D Beta for Nikon raw (.NEF) files and jpgs; seems not to have been welcomed by the Nikon community. It will adopt sidecar files rather than saving edit data etc. in the original file and U-Point technology has disappeared. I imagine this will create headaches all round. Looks like more work for Mario!

Aubrey

On top of sidecar files, it stores the sidecar files in a separate sub-folder as a "child" of the main folder. The folder is called NKS_PARAM, sidecar file has same name but with extension .nks.
Another headache for Mario and for us!
Aubrey.

Ferdinand

I read somewhere that this new program is a variant of Silkypix, which would explain some of the above.  If that's right then it's unlikely to have wide usage.  Silkypix comes as the default with a number of cameras and people rarely use it.  I predict that Nikon will get mud on its face from this decision.

Sorted

I'm just giving the beta a quick run. Initial impression being that it offers little of the versatility of CNX2. I really don't want to have to cope with sidecar files :'(!

cytochrome

I installed Nx-D and converted some NEF. The only sidecar I see are small files with an xx.nks name. They are not the common Adobe style xml files but contain only adjustments like:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 4.1.1">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
<rdf:Description rdf:about="" xmlns:BASIC_PARAM="http://www.nikon.co.jp/BASIC_PARAM/0.9.1/">
<BASIC_PARAM:VERSION>0.9.1</BASIC_PARAM:VERSION>
<BASIC_PARAM:VALIDTYPE>PT_ALL</BASIC_PARAM:VALIDTYPE>
<BASIC_PARAM:EXP_STATE>NKD_DPS_SPECIFIED</BASIC_PARAM:EXP_STATE>
<BASIC_PARAM:EXP>0.5</BASIC_PARAM:EXP>
<BASIC_PARAM:EXP_AD>NKD_EXP_ADL_unchanged</BASIC_PARAM:EXP_AD>
<BASIC_PARAM:LT_STATE>NKD_DPS_SPECIFIED</BASIC_PARAM:LT_STATE>
<BASIC_PARAM:LT_HIGHLIGHT>0</BASIC_PARAM:LT_HIGHLIGHT>
<BASIC_PARAM:LT_SHADOW>0</BASIC_PARAM:LT_SHADOW>
<BASIC_PARAM:LT_DLIGHTING_HS>0</BASIC_PARAM:LT_DLIGHTING_HS>
<BASIC_PARAM:T_BIRGHTNESS>0</BASIC_PARAM:T_BIRGHTNESS>
<BASIC_PARAM:T_CONTRAST>0</BASIC_PARAM:T_CONTRAST>
<BASIC_PARAM:T_SATURATION>0</BASIC_PARAM:T_SATURATION>
<BASIC_PARAM:NR_STATE>NKD_DPS_SPECIFIED</BASIC_PARAM:NR_STATE>
<BASIC_PARAM:NR_ENABLE>TRUE</BASIC_PARAM:NR_ENABLE>
<BASIC_PARAM:NR_INSENSITY>3</BASIC_PARAM:NR_INSENSITY>
<BASIC_PARAM:NR_SHARPNESS>6</BASIC_PARAM:NR_SHARPNESS>
<BASIC_PARAM:NR_METHOD>NKD_NR_FASTER</BASIC_PARAM:NR_METHOD>

This is from a NEF that had already xmp/iptc embedded. However in the converted JPG there is now in the XMP section a new "xmp-basic-param" subsection whole bunch of nikon  nx-D tags...

It should not interfere with IMatch I think, will be like any virgin NEF that is read into IM

The U_points are gone, but this was expected since google bought Nik-Software.

Francis

cytochrome

Quote from: Sorted on February 25, 2014, 02:04:31 PM
I'm just giving the beta a quick run. Initial impression being that it offers little of the versatility of CNX2. I really don't want to have to cope with sidecar files :'(!

I haven't seen any sidecar file in the Adobe sense. Maybe there is a switch to produce them?

In Imatch everything looks normal ;)  The Nef with full metadata is still there and the JPG converted by NX-D is fine and also shows all the metadata inherited from the NEF. So I would say no big deal (till now). I really don't see that  it offers a lot more over ViewXn which is also free and permits to write all the normal location and description metadata (into the NEF, which I like and Mario disliked a lot).

Francis

Mario

Nikon and Software....  ::)

These seem to be sidecar files like any other sidecar files. Many RAW processors store processing instructions and whatnot in proprietary files. For IMatch these are buddy files like any other, and you just have to configure your file relation to find these files if you want to buddy them.

That they use XML or an XMP-like structure does not make them any more important. This looks as if they keep processing instructions in sidecar files. But where do they keep real XMP data like rating, label, title, caption? Still in the NEF? Or in a XMP sidecar file? (both can be handled in IMatch 5).

I don't see anything that requires a change. Does this mean that Capture is no more? That would be bad news for nik as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Sorted

Quote from: Mario on February 25, 2014, 02:15:23 PM
Nikon and Software....  ::)
I don't see anything that requires a change. Does this mean that Capture is no more? That would be bad news for nik as well.

If I remember correctly this will eventually replace CNX2. Glad it won't create more work for you. Nikon are asking for feedback from those who are trying it. Negative feedback, I reckon. What, no U-Points? Can't even find a clone tool.

cytochrome

That they use XML or an XMP-like structure does not make them any more important. This looks as if they keep processing instructions in sidecar files. But where do they keep real XMP data like rating, label, title, caption? Still in the NEF? Or in a XMP sidecar file? (both can be handled in IMatch 5).

Seems they no longer write anything into the NEF!! Radical change.. Even ratings are not written to the NEF Exif. They keep rating, labels in the xxxxx.jpg.nks file like this: "<BASIC_PARAM:RATING>2"

So yes, just like the DxO sidecars, harmless to Imatch.

I haven't seen a way to enter metadata like location, Description etc..

Francis

Mario

QuoteThey keep rating, labels in the xxxxx.jpg.nks file like this: "<BASIC_PARAM:RATING>2"

Looks like Nikon now longer supports XMP metadata... bad move.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Ferdinand on February 25, 2014, 01:39:42 PM
  I predict that Nikon will get mud on its face from this decision.

I think Ferdinand has summed it up correctly!

Aubrey

NeilR

I don't see anything that requires a change.

Mario, it is my understanding, based on a quick test, that NX-D puts the edits in a sidecar in a subfolder within the image file folder named "NKS_PARAM".

I know that iMatch now custom defines buddy file extensions, but can iMatch locate the buddy file if it is in a subfolder to the image file?

Ferdinand

I have read a little more on this, but I certainly haven't installed it.  Nikon were always going to be in trouble with Capture NX after Google bought NIK, and esp after Google's recent announcement that NIK will not be updated any more.  (Like Adobe killing off Rawshooter and Corel effectively killing off Bibble, another casualty of the market).  I suspect that the agreement expired and there was no way to update Capture NX

I gather that the interface is like View NX2, but some sleuthing by enterprising people - e.g. see the comments on

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/25/nikon-releases-beta-version-of-next-generation-capture-nx-software

finds mention of Silkypix in the binaries.  So it appears that Nikon's solution has been to partner with Silkypix to combine the View NX2 UI with the Silkypix engine.  I did try Silkypix for a short time many years ago and the description of how the sidecars were stored is consistent with the above description, so it all adds up to me.  I guess the Nikon culture led them to prefer to partner with a Japanese firm. 

My comment about mud on the face of Nikon still applies.

jch2103

John

sinus

Nikon cameras are quite good, I think, I use them.

But I do not (more) use Nikon software, because I do not like them.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

cytochrome

Quote from: Ferdinand on February 26, 2014, 12:04:36 AM

I gather that the interface is like View NX2, but some sleuthing by enterprising people - e.g. see the comments on

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/25/nikon-releases-beta-version-of-next-generation-capture-nx-software

finds mention of Silkypix in the binaries. 

I have ViewNx2 installed since some months and use it some times. I installed NX-D out of curiosity. They are very different programs. ViewNx can write all the common metadata (all metadata I use) and very well, into the NEF. It can also rename. In fact it can double as an ingester for Nikon Raw. It's conversion engine looks similar to that of Capture Nx2, with a lot of frills taken away. But it is a very decent converter.

NX-D cannot read/write metadata, apart from stars and colors, which are stored in the xxxxx.Nef.nks and xxxxxx.Jpg.nks files and therefore lost to the world apart from NX-D itself. A part from being Adobe compliant and free it has little to offer. The whole Nikon software policy seems incoherent.

Francis

NeilR

Just for future reference, does iMatch support any apps that store sidecar files in subfolders?  By "support" I mean moving the sidecars along with the image files (and maintaining the subfolder structure) when doing move and copy operations.  And deleting the sidecars when deleting images.

Ferdinand

Quote from: NeilR on February 27, 2014, 12:25:36 AM
Just for future reference, does iMatch support any apps that store sidecar files in subfolders?

Yes.  Unlike in V3.6, in V5 you can define buddy file definitions to look in subfolders.  Capture One and Photo Ninja also need this.

Mario

I can only recommend to have a look at the IMatch help, which explains all this, including the information how to locate buddy files in sub-folders, how IMatch treats buddy files in sub-folders etc. All the information is there. It even has pictures!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

muranod

I just started using NX-D, in addition to View-NX-2 and Lightroom. I keep reading the help file for this, but I'm still not sure I understand. Do I add .nks to the link expression?

This is what I have now:
^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(jpg|jpeg|dng|nef\.dxo|nef\.bib)$

Sorry - this is still a little beyond my expertise as I just started working with RAW files.

jch2103

Quote from: muranod on March 22, 2014, 04:20:08 AM
Do I add .nks to the link expression?
From the Help/Release Notes for 5.0.148:

"This and That
"Added the .nks format to the default buddy file relation for .NEF files. If you use NX-D to process your NEF files, don't forget to add this extension as well. "

Not to worry - there's a lot in IMatch 5, but the Help and Community resources are very helpful.
John

Mario

If you have created that database before NX-2, the default buddy file expression for NEF files does not yet include the .nks extension.

You can add them easily like this:

^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(jpg|jpeg|dng|nef\.dxo|nef\.bib|nks)$

IMatch then knows about nks files and keeps them together with the NEF file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

muranod

Great. Thank you. I will compare this with the expression that's there and that will help me figure out how it is works too. (with that long an expression, I sort of blank out.)  :D

-- and gee, I just did it and it's a simple addition of the extension after the separator. 

Mario

The default expressions look complicated because they have to handle the most often used configurations.
If you know that your buddy files are always named the same as the master file, just with a different extension (either jpg or nks), it becomes much simpler:

^{name}\.(jpg|nks)$

This handles naming schemata like

master.jpg
master.nks

All the * and [+\-_]* etc. mumbo jumbo is for cases where users append text or digits or _ to their master names to make up versions, e.g.

master_web.jpg
master_verson-1.jpg

Users come up with sometimes very complicated naming schema, and the expression I include as the default deal with them. For your purpose, a much simpler expression can do the trick as well. Check the help for the file relations (Press <F1> while in the dialog) to see simple and more complex examples.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator