A image retrieval question

Started by jeknepley, April 03, 2014, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeknepley

Is there a way to limit or to aggregate results related to lens data (this is a specific example of a more general question; I'm not interested only in focal lengths, but almost anything that can be charted in the statistics panel)?

For example - Suppose I wanted to see images made at all focal lengths between x-mm and y-mm - BUT not any and all focal lengths

Moving on further, is there any way to aggregate these results?

Specific example - "Show me images using just focal lengths between 20mm & 100mm AND, further, group these into 20mm groups (20-30, 30-40, etc)."

I'm assuming that either a script is needed (or exporting the normal all inclusive IM5 output for subsequent processing in another program like Excel). Am I missing anything self contained within IM5?

Mario

I'm not entirely sure that I understand every detail of your question, but...

The Statistics Panel groups files based on the metadata tag you select. It uses the current selection as input.
This means you can filter the input before it is handed over to the Statistics Panel. You can also control which files you select.
The Statistics Panel does not allow to produce multiple levels or anything.

I would look into a data-driven category based on lens data first. Usually you get only one level (one category per unique focal length) but you may be able to use filters for the data-driven category to get groupings like "20-30mm", "30-40mm" and so on. Worth a try, see the help on data-driven categories for details.

Then work "from" your data-driven category to get the Statistics you want.

Another idea would be the Data Mapper App, which can do a lot more than what I currently use for the demo app.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Thanks. Since posting the question I've tried a few things including the Filter Panel's Value Filter and using the Statistics Panel's save as csv file options. Also I've used the data driven category in the past and will take another look at it for this application. The data mapper app is a new one - I'll look at it, too.

It looks like Value Filter can solve part of the problem - limiting values shown to a smaller range. I still need to do something to reduce (for example) apertures from 2.8 to 11 showing up in 0.1 to 0.2 intervals instead of say 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 & 11. Those fine grained values may have some validity in some world, but not in the world that I make my settings in. Just way too many largely unneeded data points. I can consolidate them in Excel via the csv export, but was hoping for an internal IM5 option. Right now, looking at the Stat panel display (before using Value Filter) I see apertures from 1.8 to 81 - in steps as small as 0.1 in some cases. I now know how to narrow the range, but those teeny-tiny steps are killing me. I need to consolidate them - hopefully without a trip to Excel.  :-\

I'll get back with what I find.