Database Converter

Started by cthomas, April 05, 2014, 12:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I'm trying to get the Database Converter to work. I have went through the steps in the help file three or four times. And every time I run the Database Converter I get this message:  "The Database Converter has detected that IMatch 5 is currently running. Please close IMatch 5 now and click OK to continue with the Database Converter." I have closed the IMatch 5 database but I keep getting this error. What am I doing wrong?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Richard

QuoteI have closed the IMatch 5 database

Closing the database is not the same as closing IMatch.

cthomas

Quote from: Richard on April 05, 2014, 02:12:02 AM

Oak I'm lost. Would you tell me step by step what I should do? Please. I have been working on this all afternoon.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Based on the above,  make sure that you've closed the IMatch program before you start the converter program.  My apologies if you've already done this; I only responded because I'm in your time zone, not because I know anything about the converter...
John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on April 05, 2014, 03:09:36 AM
Based on the above,  make sure that you've closed the IMatch program before you start the converter program.  My apologies if you've already done this; I only responded because I'm in your time zone, not because I know anything about the converter...

How can you start the converter program with out starting IMatch (doubal clicking on the IMatch 5 icon?)
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

hro

How can you start the converter program with out starting IMatch (doubal clicking on the IMatch 5 icon?)

cthomas, you need to close IMatch and start the converter tool from the Windows menu. This is a separate program "IMatch Database Converter".

I believe the menu entry in the Imatch program Database->Database Tools -> Database Converter is misleading or confusing, as it cannot work if you have to close Imatch before running it.

Cheers. Hartmut

Mario

When you try to run the Database Converter while IMatch is running, you get that message.
It is irrelevant if you start the Database Converter via the Database > Database Tools menu or via the separate shortcut in the IMatch Program Group in the Windows START menu. Works the same.

If you get this dialog, just close IMatch: Either via the X button in the caption bar or the Exit command in the Database menu.

Wait a few seconds until IMatch has been properly shut down. Then click OK in the "IMatch is still running" dialog to continue.
If IMatch is still running, the dialog will come up again. Wait a few second and press OK again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: hro on April 05, 2014, 06:30:27 AM

cthomas, you need to close IMatch and start the converter tool from the Windows menu. This is a separate program "IMatch Database Converter".

I believe the menu entry in the Imatch program Database->Database Tools -> Database Converter is misleading or confusing, as it cannot work if you have to close Imatch before running it.

Cheers. Hartmut

Hartmut I think you are so right when you say "I believe the menu entry in the Imatch program Database->Database Tools -> Database Converter is misleading" and I want to add "confusing."
I was not able to find any thing in help telling you to use the  Database Converter.  Then Richard said
Quote from: Richard on April 05, 2014, 02:12:02 AM
I really begin to scratch my head and I said to my self over and over "now what did he mean by that."  I then I realized the Database Converter had to run on it's own.  So I did a search for the Database Converter (Im using Windows 8.1 Pro. and it is different then Windows 7 and things are in different places.) and I found it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\IMatch5\IMDBConverter5.exe" And once I found it and ran the IMDBConverter5.exe it was very clear and easy.

Quote from: Mario on April 05, 2014, 09:11:54 AM
When you try to run the Database Converter while IMatch is running, you get that message.
It is irrelevant if you start the Database Converter via the Database > Database Tools menu or via the separate shortcut in the IMatch Program Group in the Windows START menu. Works the same.

If you get this dialog, just close IMatch: Either via the X button in the caption bar or the Exit command in the Database menu.

Wait a few seconds until IMatch has been properly shut down. Then click OK in the "IMatch is still running" dialog to continue.
If IMatch is still running, the dialog will come up again. Wait a few second and press OK again.

Mario thanks for your reply but by the time I got your reply I had all ready figured it out. Doing it your way might save a click or two. Mario since it seems like the Database Converter is one of the import steps a lot of us  Imatch 3 users will need to use when we upgrade to IMatch 5. Would this be good sticky topic? It seems like users need to know how to run the Database Converter the way you showed and how to run it as a stand along app.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

QuoteI was not able to find any thing in help telling you to use the  Database Converter.

When you search for the word

convert

you see "Database Converter" as one of the first hits.

and also when you search for Database or Convert

On the very first page in the IMatch help there is a link to the IMatch 3 to IMatch 5 migration guide (which is a must read for all users of IMatch 3):

and the very first topic here links to the Database Converter:

If you tell me how you searched for information about how to convert an IMatch 3 database (and apparently draw only blanks) I can add a few more keywords to the corresponding topics.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

herman

Mario,

It seems to me that both hro and cthomas did not grasp the idea that IMatch (the application, not the database) should be closed when the Database Converter reports that IMatch 5 is running and has to be closed.

It seems that the advisory text in the Database Converter window is clear enough for most users but apparently some get confused by this.

On reading through the Database Converter help topic I do not see a mention of the fact that IMatch has to be closed after the converter has been launched.

Perhaps it is a good idea to add some words to "The Conversion Process" chapter explaining that the converter is a separate application that, although it can be launched from within IMatch, requires that IMatch be closed before it can proceed to do it's magic?

I will submit a help topic feedback shortly, referencing to this discussion.
Enjoy!

Herman.

JohnZeman

Quote from: herman on April 05, 2014, 09:43:08 PM
Perhaps it is a good idea to add some words to "The Conversion Process" chapter explaining that the converter is a separate application that, although it can be launched from within IMatch, requires that IMatch be closed before it can proceed to do it's magic?

Or maybe the dialog should read something like "Click OK to close IMatch and begin the database conversion." ?

cthomas

Quote from: herman on April 05, 2014, 09:43:08 PM
Mario,

It seems to me that both hro and cthomas did not grasp the idea that IMatch (the application, not the database) should be closed when the Database Converter reports that IMatch 5 is running and has to be closed.

It seems that the advisory text in the Database Converter window is clear enough for most users but apparently some get confused by this.

On reading through the Database Converter help topic I do not see a mention of the fact that IMatch has to be closed after the converter has been launched.

I will submit a help topic feedback shortly, referencing to this discussion.

Well I do have a thick head! And sometimes I need to look at something a little different.

I will submit a help topic feedback shortly, referencing to this discussion. Herman I think this is a good idea. We all see and understand things a little different. Before you make any changes I think it would be good to run the changes by all of use having questions about this.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

At the risk of confusing things further, I've already submitted feedback on the Help topic being discussed:

QuoteBased on the discussion in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=2054.msg12988#msg12988
I'd recommend that you expand the Introduction to include a Tip something like what's in your post:

"You can start the Database Converter via the Database > Database Tools menu or via the separate shortcut in the IMatch Program Group in the Windows START menu. However, if you start the Converter from IMatch 5, be sure to close IMatch, either via the X button in the caption bar or the Exit command in the Database menu, before proceeding."

Or something like that...

But you all may have better wording suggestions...
John