Duplicate files

Started by cthomas, April 27, 2014, 02:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

As you can see this is a pretty good sized database and I know there are a lot of duplicate files. Would it be best to start with the last folder or the first folder? Then select all of the files in it since I don't know which of the files may have a duplicate. Or would you select one file at a time to see if that file has a duplicate?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I would first wait for IMatch to finish importing the files.
To find all duplicates in a database, select the Database node or the @All category and un-pause the file window to see all files.
To find all duplicates for files in a given folder, category, collection, time-line node etc: Bring the files into a file window.

Select all files in the file window with <Ctrl>+<A> and then run your search. For example, to find duplicates, press <Ctrl>+<M> and then <D>.

After a short time, IMatch opens a result window which shows all files with at least one match (duplicate). The original file (the file selected for the search) will be shown in a "header" and below that IMatch displays all matches (duplicates in this case).

To delete all duplicates, click on one duplicate to focus the file window and then press <Ctrl>+<A> to select all matches in the entire file window. This selects all duplicate files for all originals at once and you can now delete them, or put them into a category or bookmark them or whatever.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook