Setting up email to work - with outlook/live/hotmail

Started by ubacher, May 31, 2014, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I finally tried to use the IM email feature. But it fails on my settings.
I use web based outlook (formally live mail and before that hotmail) as my mail.
I select smtp.live.com; Port, Authentication and Connection at default settings.
I put my email and password. Send test mail fails.

On the computer I run thunderbird as the default mail server. Works OK.

What am I doing wrong?

Mario

Does IMatch display an error message?
Which one?
What's in the log? Usually when the connection fails, IMatch logs the response from the server in the log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Is IMatch supposed to work with web-based e-mail? I thought I had trouble in an earlier version with that, and had to use an e-mail client program. But maybe I'm confused/out of date.

John

Mario

IMatch supports sending email both via Windows MAPI (the default Windows email feature) and also by directly connecting to a mail server. As long as your provider supports standard mail server protocols, it can be used in IMatch (including googlemail, hotmail, Yahoo email etc.). Only when you use a mail provider which only supports sending and received emails via a web browser or a dedicated app you are locked in.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I found it to work with the following settings:
Host : smtp-mail.outlook.com
Authentication: Auto
Connection: AUTOTLS
user: My hotmail email address
From email: above address

sinus

Quote from: ubacher on May 31, 2014, 08:20:27 PM

Hi Ubacher ...

thanks a lot, your posting helped me a lot!

BTW, pictures are sent as attachements, do your know a way, that such a pictures, created and sent by IM5, does displaying in the mail? I am using also Outlook.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

This may be possible by constructing a HTML email.
Send yourself a HTML email with some image attachments. Then look at the source code and how the HTML refers to the images attached. Maybe this gives you some clues.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 02, 2014, 07:26:05 AM
This may be possible by constructing a HTML email.
Send yourself a HTML email with some image attachments. Then look at the source code and how the HTML refers to the images attached. Maybe this gives you some clues.

Yes, Mario, it does gives me some clues, thanks a lot! I will try!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jch2103

Quote from: ubacher on May 31, 2014, 08:20:27 PM

I was able to set up IMatch e-mail back in May or June using ubacher's suggestion above, but now (on another computer) I'm having problems. Did something change on either the IMatch or Microsoft ends?

Also, when I tried to use a gmail account, I got a message that the attempt to send was blocked because I wasn't using the latest secure methods. Not sure how to change that.

John

jch2103

In case it helps anyone else, I got IMatch e-mail working again with these settings:

Host: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
User: [user name]@live.com

etc.
John

digi56