Group numeric values in data-driven categories

Started by jch2103, May 31, 2014, 09:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

As discussed in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=2411, it would be convenient to be able to have groups that summarize numerical ranges such as ISO into numeric groups (e.g., 1-100, 101-200, ..., 800-1599, etc.). Currently, one must use multiple data-driven categories, each with different filters. Bug fixes in build 160 have fixed a number of issues for data-driven categories, but haven't addressed this issue.

In general, the text-processing capabilities of data-driven categories are excellent, but numeric-processing capabilities are more limited.

A related feature request (should this be a separate one?) would be for numeric data-driven categories to display numeric sorts, e.g.:

Quote100

instead of

John

Mario

QuoteA related feature request (should this be a separate one?) would be for numeric data-driven categories to display numeric sorts, e.g.:

Please ensure that you sort categories by the Standard sort mode, which recognizes and properly sorts numerical sequences. Click on the Gear icon in the Category View to check.

Categories support numerical ranges, even multiple, This allows you to easily fold ISO values into ranges. Just create one data-driven category for each of your ranges under a common parent category. Folding data into ranges is a rather specific problem, usually only encountered when you deal with things like ISO. I'm not sure if this is worth all the extra programming efforts, UI changes etc. Let's see how many +1 this feature request collects.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on June 01, 2014, 08:10:31 AM
Please ensure that you sort categories by the Standard sort mode, which recognizes and properly sorts numerical sequences. Click on the Gear icon in the Category View to check.

Aah, I missed that (or more likely forgot that - I was focused on the data-driven properties options...).
Thanks.

As you point out, there are effective work-arounds for the 'grouping of numeric items' issue, so this isn't at all essential. But the request could be useful for several numeric-type fields besides ISO such as focal length, aperture, GPS altitude, etc.
John