Assign multiple @Keywords at a time

Started by pajaro, June 13, 2014, 08:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pajaro

I searched but did not find the answer... Is it possible to create a "virtual" @Keyword (a shortcut) that would assign several (defined) @Keywords to an image at a single click? An example: the image of a dog is always assign to the following @Keywords: Dogs, Mammals, Vertebrates, Animals. My question is if I can define a shortcut that would automatically assign all four @Keywords to this image.

Thanks,

Pavel.

Richard

From Help:
QuoteFavorites This list contains your personal Favorites. To assign, just click on keyword. Right click on any keyword in this list to open a context menu with additional options.

It is not exactly what you are looking for but it should help with assignments.

joel23

Quote from: Richard on June 13, 2014, 09:38:11 PM
From Help:
QuoteFavorites This list contains your personal Favorites. To assign, just click on keyword. Right click on any keyword in this list to open a context menu with additional options.

It is not exactly what you are looking for but it should help with assignments.
The link you provided points to this forum ;)
regards,
Joerg

joel23

Quote from: pajaro on June 13, 2014, 08:26:28 PM
I searched but did not find the answer... Is it possible to create a "virtual" @Keyword (a shortcut) that would assign several (defined) @Keywords to an image at a single click? An example: the image of a dog is always assign to the following @Keywords: Dogs, Mammals, Vertebrates, Animals. My question is if I can define a shortcut that would automatically assign all four @Keywords to this image.

Thanks,

Pavel.
You can set up keywords as a chain in the keyword panel, eg. starting with Dogs -> Mammals -> Vertebrates -> Animals and marking the first three elements in the so called "Thesaurus Manager" (we are not talking about synonyms here, so why this is called Thesaurus Manager?) with "use sub-elements".
So when clicking on Dogs all the other elements and its synonyms are applied - see attachment.

But IMHO this breaks how taxonomy trees usually are used.
I believe we start creating trees the other way round, eg. with
Animals -> Vertebrates -> Mammals -> Dogs
Animals -> Vertebrates -> Aves -> Anseriformes -> Ducks
Animals -> Vertebrates -> Pisces -> Chondrichthyes -> Sharks

So when clicking on a sub-element like Dogs, Ducks or Sharks all the other "super-elements" up to Animals should be applied.

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Joerg

Richard

QuoteThe link you provided points to this forum

The link was part of the quote and in Help it pointed to the correct info.

pajaro

Thank you both. It all looks quite complicated. Will have to read more about Thesaurus Manager (I have never used it before).

So when clicking on a sub-element like Dogs, Ducks or Sharks all the other "super-elements" up to Animals should be applied.

Of course, you are right  :). It was just an example to explain what I am trying to do...

JohnZeman

Quote from: pajaro on June 13, 2014, 10:30:48 PM
Thank you both. It all looks quite complicated. Will have to read more about Thesaurus Manager (I have never used it before)..

It can also be very easy.

First enable the Favorites panel if it's not only visible then create a new favorite called Splashers (or whatever you want to name it).  Next in category view hold down the CTRL key then select your Dogs, Mammals, Vertebrates, and Animals @Keyword categories by clicking on each @Keyword.  Then just drag and drop those categories into your newly created Splashers favorite, and you're done (see attached screen shot).

You can then rename your newly created splasher by right clicking it, and choosing properties.

[attachment deleted by admin]

joel23

Thank you both. It all looks quite complicated. Will have to read more about Thesaurus Manager (I have never used it before).

Of course, you are right  :). It was just an example to explain what I am trying to do...
Not your fault. IMHO this is a bug/glitch/odd feature in the Thesaurus Manager.
Because when we are using a sub-element the "super-elements" should be applied, not the other way round.
regards,
Joerg

pajaro

Quote from: JohnZeman on June 13, 2014, 10:45:16 PM
Thank you both. It all looks quite complicated. Will have to read more about Thesaurus Manager (I have never used it before)..

It can also be very easy.

First enable the Favorites panel if it's not only visible then create a new favorite called Splashers (or whatever you want to name it).  Next in category view hold down the CTRL key then select your Dogs, Mammals, Vertebrates, and Animals @Keyword categories by clicking on each @Keyword.  Then just drag and drop those categories into your newly created Splashers favorite, and you're done (see attached screen shot).

You can then rename your newly created splasher by right clicking it, and choosing properties.

Thank you so much, John, I appreciate it. That's exactly what I have been looking for!  :) :) :)

Mario

When you click on "Sharks" in

the hierarchical keyword Animals|Vertebrates|Pisces|Chondrichthyes|Sharks is added to the file.

To add multiple keywords at a a time use synonyms, sub-elements or create favorites for multiple @Keyword categories, whatever fits best into your workflow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Quote from: Mario on June 14, 2014, 08:08:54 AM
When you click on "Sharks" in

the hierarchical keyword Animals|Vertebrates|Pisces|Chondrichthyes|Sharks is added to the file.
Ah yes and using "write path elements" for writing them out as flat keywords to DC / IPTC might work. I forgot about that because it never worked out for me.

This is because when clicking on "Sharks", all the synonyms for
"Animals - Vertebrates - Pisces -Chondrichthyes" 
which are
"Tiere - Wirbeltiere - Fische - Knorpelfische"

are not added as keywords, not as flat nor as hierarchical keywords.

I understand now, why what I was talking about here might not easy to understand. This was about showing synonyms colored  - but to get all synonyms I need to click every single element of a keyword chain.

When doing so, always the most "left" synonym appears colored: "Tiere"
regards,
Joerg

Mario

QuoteThis is because when clicking on "Sharks", all the synonyms for
which are

This is correct. Synonyms belong to a specific keyword. When you add a keyword, all synonyms for that keyword are also added. But not the keywords for other keywords along the path. I'm not sure if this would be desirable for some users, but I had never a request for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

hmmm, interessing. Could be a very gold thing. Must think about this, depends also, how difficult it would be, to integrate this for programming.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

joel23

Quote from: Mario on June 14, 2014, 01:10:37 PM
QuoteThis is because when clicking on "Sharks", all the synonyms for
which are

This is correct. Synonyms belong to a specific keyword. When you add a keyword, all synonyms for that keyword are also added. But not the keywords for other keywords along the path. I'm not sure if this would be desirable for some users, but I had never a request for this.
I thought this is as it should be. What sense does it make to define synonyms and not getting them (easily) added?

Especially for taxonomy trees - where often easily eight or more sub-elements exist -, it would be a huge relief when we don't have to click on every single element to get their synonyms.
regards,
Joerg

Mario

Quoteevery single element to get their synonyms.

Hierarchical keywords are usually considered as a path, leading to the leaf element:

location|country|Germany|Munich

You add the keyword Munich to a file. And that adds synonyms like "München", "Landeshauptstadt Bayern" etc.

This process does not add the keywords (or associated synonyms) Germany, country and location to the file. These are just part of the one hierarchical keyword "Munich".

At least not unless you set IMatch to break up the hierarchical keyword into it's individual elements and add each element separately, into the non-hierarchical keywords. But for IMatch, these are two operations!

You assign the hierarchical keyword Munich.
In a separate step, IMatch "flattens" this keyword into normal keywords according to your configuration. There are several different outcomes from that operation, depending on how you have configured IMatch:

1. location|country|Germany|Munich
2. Munich
3. location, country, Germany, Munich
4. Germany, Munich (location and country configured as group levels)
5 ...

For IMatch, the key operation is the assignment of the hierarchical keyword location|county|Germany|Munich. One keyword.

If users want an option to not only assign the keyword Munich and it's synonyms, but also assign synonyms assigned to the intermediate levels in the hierarchical keyword, or only in combination with certain options which break the hierarchical keyword into it's individual elements, the feature request board is the right place to suggest such a extension.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator