Questions about the features of the Keyword Panel / Thesaurus

Started by joel23, June 14, 2014, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel23

Hi,
as the subject tells I have some questions about the features of the Keyword Panel.
When I right click on an existing keyword and use "locate in Thesaurus" I only get a "plink" (sound)

Preferences: Keyword Lookup -> "Lookup keywords via thesaurus" and "also assign synonyms" are checked.

When I type in a keyword in the "Keyword Editor" which already exists in the thesaurus it's hierarchical path is not added as keywords, but as a flat keyword.

"also assign synonyms"  Regardless if enabled or disabled this, synonyms are always added when I add a keyword via thesaurus with has synonyms.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have misunderstood these functions?
regards,
Joerg

Mario

The message beep means your keyword does not exist in the thesaurus.

QuoteWhen I type in a keyword in the "Keyword Editor" which already exists in the thesaurus it's hierarchical path is not added as keywords, but as a flat keyword.
This is not how it's supposed to be. If you type the keyword Germany, and the thesaurus has, for example,

location|beach|Germany
Europe|Germany
WM|Winner|Germany
Cat Nations|Germany
Cities|Germany|Frankfurt

IMatch will not lookup "Germany" in your thesaurus and try to match it against all occurrences and then add all of the above hierarchical keywords.
It will just add "Germany": Please use the thesaurus control in the keyword panel to add keywords from your thesaurus.

I think there is a misunderstanding. The options you describe are used when IMatch imports files into your database and maps existing flat keywords in your files to hierarchical keywords.

If IMatch find a flat keyword "Bee" in your file, it will usually import it as "Bee" into the hierarchical keywords. If you enable the options to lookup keywords in the thesaurus, IMatch will try to find the keyword "Bee" in your thesaurus. How this is done, and how you have to structure your thesaurus to allow IMatch to find "Bee" is explained in the help.

For example, if your thesaurus has the hierarchical keyword "Insect|Bee", IMatch will find it when importing a file, and assign the hierarchical keyword "Animal|Bee" to your file. If you have the option "Also assign synonyms" set, it will also assign the found synonyms.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Quote from: Mario on June 14, 2014, 08:19:27 PM
I think there is a misunderstanding. The options you describe are used when IMatch imports files into your database and maps existing flat keywords in your files to hierarchical keywords.
I thought so - so far I've not looked much to those features. IMHO it's not quite clear from the help that this is meant for import only. 
Anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time to clear things up.
regards,
Joerg