Problem with the hierarchical keyword separator

Started by Epicure, June 22, 2014, 02:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epicure

Hi,

I'm currently testing the migration of my 3.6 DB to Imatch 5.
In the 3.6 DB, I have hierarchical keywords with this format (example) :

Extérieurs.Paysages.Forêts,
Extérieurs.Paysages.Hiver,
Extérieurs.Paysages.Soleil.Jeux de lumière,
Lieu.Belgique.Luxembourg.Libramont,
Statut.terminées

The keyword separator is : ,
and the hierarchical separator is : .

When I do the conversion to Imatch 5, I set the preferences accordingly in preferences/metadata.
Besides, I also check those options :
- write hierarchical keywords
- don't replace existing hierarchical keywords

Nonetheless, after the conversion all my files display the icon for unwritten metadata.
And when I click on the icon, the hierarchical separator is changed into : |

Extérieurs|Paysages|Forêts, Extérieurs|Paysages|Hiver, Extérieurs|Paysages|Soleil|Jeux de lumière, Lieu|Belgique|Luxembourg|Libramont, Statut|terminées

2 questions :
1) why does Imatch want to write back some metadata (especially the keywords) even with the option "don't replace existing hierarchical keywords" ?

2) why is it changing the hierachical separator (from . to |) ?

Thanks for your help.

Epicure

Mario

You are creating XMP hierarchical keywords from existing keywords in your image file while importing files into IMatch 5.
You have used some sort of special schema to keep hierarchical keywords in IPTC.
You are importing these keywords into hierarchical keywords. Unless your files already have hierarchical keywords in XMP, this will cause a write-back.
When you follow this FAQ: The ExifTool Output Panel you see which keywords IMatch is writing to your files.

IMatch always writes the standard keyword separator |
The other options are for import only.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook