Searching for attributes of images

Started by billkilborn, June 25, 2014, 05:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billkilborn

I have been a long time user if iMatch 3 and recently purchased 5.1.  I have imported a database of 65,000 entries and my old fields, such as description (the important one), were converted to attributes.  I can see the attributes of any image but cannot figure out how to search for them.  I can search for folders just fine.  When I enter something in the attribute panel on the right hand side, such as "cedar" in the description, to search for images of Cedar Key, and click the Apply icon nothing happens.  What am I doing wrong?

Bill

JohnZeman

You can search for attribute values by using the Filter panel.  For example attached is a screenshot of a filter I set up that searches the current file window (thumbnails) for files whose attributes contain the text "10/4/2009"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

In addition, the file window search bar also searches attributes when you enable it via the drop-down menu (red X button) > Also search in Attributes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

billkilborn

Quote from: JohnZeman on June 25, 2014, 08:32:02 PM
You can search for attribute values by using the Filter panel.  For example attached is a screenshot of a filter I set up that searches the current file window (thumbnails) for files whose attributes contain the text "10/4/2009"

OK, I had figured out what I was doing wrong by the time this appeared.  Thanks for answering.  My problem now is that I need to search for more than one word at a time.  It searches and finds fine with the top one when I try to enter a second one connected by AND or OR it only finds the top one and ignores the second one.  I've tried everything and cannot figure this one out.  Any help would be appreciated........

I've attached a situation which does not work.  IE: I want to search for bird photos in Cedar Key.  This will pick up ALL bird photos but will not narrow them down to Cedar Key.  It worked very easy in iMatch 3 by using +bird +cedar as a regular expression.

Thanks,

Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

This describes a bug that has been reported, discussed and fixed for the upcoming 5.1.0.6 build.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

billkilborn

Quote from: Mario on July 04, 2014, 08:23:06 AM
This describes a bug that has been reported, discussed and fixed for the upcoming 5.1.0.6 build.

Hopefully the new build will be out soon.  This makes the program useless to me and I do like it in all other ways.

Thanks for the answer.

Bill

Mario

If the temporary unavailability of one part of one filter (the ability to combine Attribute filters via Boolean operations) makes IMatch useless for you, I doubt you will have much fun with other software which is full of bugs and where you don't have a such a direct line to the developer ;)

Many users report bugs. Check the bug report board to see what's in my work queue. Check the Solved Bug Reports board to see which bugs have been fixed for the upcoming release.

All users probably consider the bug they have just reported as important, process breaking, workflow ruining or just as stopping everything dead in their tracks. You now already know that the glitch two users ran into is fixed. I can assure you that increasing the pressure on my person to ship even faster than the average 'one update per month'  does not do any good.

IMatch 5 has been released less than four weeks ago. I have to handle a massive extra amount of emails and this community because of that fact. Yet still I manage to understand, reproduce and fix some bugs every day. I donate my entire spare time to this project and I will finalize and ship an update of IMatch 5 as soon as possible.

Maybe give the file window search bar a try as a work-around. It also allows you to search for Attributes, and to combine searches b AND/OR/NOT. Make sure to set the Also search Attributes and probably AND/OR consider all tags option.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

billkilborn

Sorry, didn't mean to criticize you.  iMatch is a great program and I'm sure I will get lots of use from it.  Thanks for the hint to use other search methods as that my solve my problem till the update. I know what busy means as I maintain over 100 websites, some with changes daily and still have a commercial photography business which i have pursued for 43 years.  I'm also an Old Fart ! !

You're doing a great job.

Thanks again,

Bill