imatch 5 and imatch 3.6 in parallel

Started by aki-bs, July 23, 2014, 10:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aki-bs

At the moment I use imatch 3.6.0.90 and I have 15 self written scripts.

I like to migrate to imatch 5, but I think it will take some time. During this time I don't like to miss my actual fine running scripts on the 3.6 Version.

So my question: Is it possible tu run imatch 3.6 and imatch 5 in parallel on the same PC?

herman

Welcome to the community!

You can run both IM3 and IM5 on the same machine BUT.......
Your version  3.6.0.90 is not really up-to-date, the most recent version is 3.6.0.118
You need to update to 3.6.0.118 first.
This is related to script components which need to be brought to the same version as the script components used in IM5.
Enjoy!

Herman.

RainerG

You must use Version 3.6.0.118, then you can use IMatch 5 paralell.
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

aki-bs

Quote from: herman on July 23, 2014, 10:48:21 PM
You need to update to 3.6.0.118 first.
This is related to script components which need to be brought to the same version as the script components used in IM5.
does it mean, that I have to migrate my scripts from 3.6.0.90 to 3.6.0.118 or can the scripts beween these two versions remain as they are?
if an adaption of the scripts between thes two 3.6 Versions is necessary, then I do not have any advantage or have I missed something?

herman

Quote from: aki-bs on July 24, 2014, 07:52:32 AM
does it mean, that I have to migrate my scripts from 3.6.0.90 to 3.6.0.118 or can the scripts beween these two versions remain as they are?

You may have to change some lines in your scripts.

Quote from: aki-bs on July 24, 2014, 07:52:32 AMif an adaption of the scripts between thes two 3.6 Versions is necessary, then I do not have any advantage

You may find that some of your scripts are not needed anymore in IM5.
There is no way for me to tell, I am not clairvoyant  ;)
Enjoy!

Herman.

aki-bs

what I have understood so far:

• first I have to change from 3.6.0.90 to 3.6.0.118; it could be that some adaptions on my scripts may be necessary
  • then I can run Version 5 and Version 3.6 in parallel on the same PC
  • to use my scripts also on Version 5, I have to migrate/adapt them to Version 5. it may be, that some of the scripts are not necessary any more
is that right?

exists there a documentation on the Version 5, so that I can get an idea now, what I have to change on my scripts and which scripts are no longer necessary?

sinus

From my point of view this is correct.

And yes, the help-file of IM5 shows, what has to be changed in the scripts. Simple scripts should be no problems, if you have very complicated scripts, then it should also not be a problem, if you are a good scripter or you invest some time, to change all script-classes, what has changed.

And yes, a lot of my scripts are not more necessary in IM5, for example alle the relations-scripts.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

herman

Your understanding is correct.

IMatch 5 comes with a very detailed help file.
I suggest you download the IM5 help file (scroll down until you see the help file download link) and read the section for IMatch 3 users.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Richard

To convert your IMatch 3 files to IMatch 5 you will need to upgrade to 3.6.0.118. I am not into scripts but question whether it is worth the effort since many things done with scripts in 3.6 no longer require scripts in IMatch 5. Thus, as recommended, I agree that your place to start is with IMatch 5 Help.

aki-bs

I have downloaded the help file - I can see the contents, but the text is empty. See attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Your system is blocking the help file.
Open the folder containing the help file in Windows Explorer. Right-click the imatch.chm file and in the properties dialog, click on "unblock".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

Quote from: Mario on July 24, 2014, 09:59:23 AM
Your system is blocking the help file.
Open the folder containing the help file in Windows Explorer. Right-click the imatch.chm file and in the properties dialog, click on "unblock".

thanks a lot - now it works.  :)

Ferdinand

Quote from: aki-bs on July 24, 2014, 09:17:20 AM
1. first I have to change from 3.6.0.90 to 3.6.0.118; it could be that some adaptions on my scripts may be necessary

There are a couple of things that may need changing.  The main one relates to using IPTC and is easy to fix, but in a few rare cases there were issues about arrays that were harder to solve. There are details on the old IMatch 3.6 scripting forum.

3.  to use my scripts also on Version 5, I have to migrate/adapt them to Version 5. it may be, that some of the scripts are not necessary any more is that right?

Completely correct

exists there a documentation on the Version 5, so that I can get an idea now, what I have to change on my scripts and which scripts are no longer necessary?

In the scripting section of the help file there is a short page on the main 3.6->5.1 migration issues.  I have some notes on how I migrated my scripts that I will try and clean up and post in the next week or two.

As for what scripts are not needed, my advice is to try and do without them and only migrate the ones that you find you really can't live without.  You shouldn't need most old scripts that manipulated metadata because you can use a metadata template for that.  File relations deals with most versioning issues.  If you give us an idea of what your scripts did then we can offer advice about whether there's now native functionality.

aki-bs

Quote from: Ferdinand on July 24, 2014, 11:11:27 AM
If you give us an idea of what your scripts did then we can offer advice about whether there's now native functionality.

Thanks for your proposal.

Here is a short description of my most important scripts, which I don't want to miss anymore. In my scripts I have also integrated exif-tool.

I have scripts with the following functionalities:
1.   Correction of the time stamp for jpg-files and dng-files
2.   Renaming files according to the time stamp: yymmdd,hhmmssnn.jpg
3.   Updating properties with copyright, photographer and gps-information
4.   Modify file name with some extension, for example img1234.jpg to img1234_pan.jpg
5.   Add categories to the file according to the file name and gps location information
6.   Generating XMP-files and adding maker-notes and properties to the xmp-file
7.   Resize images for web publishing
8.   Copy meta-data from file to file
9.   Mark files with the extension .dng if no corresponding file with the extension .jpg exist

Mario

1.   Correction of the time stamp for jpg-files and dng-files

???
2.   Renaming files according to the time stamp: yymmdd,hhmmssnn.jpg

Use the Renamer.

3.   Updating properties with copyright, photographer and gps-information

If you still need this functionality (duplicating data that's in the database anyway in Attributes) you can either use the "Copy Metadata into Attributes" script or write your own.

4.   Modify file name with some extension, for example img1234.jpg to img1234_pan.jpg

Renamer.

5.   Add categories to the file according to the file name and gps location information

Data-driven categories?

6.   Generating XMP-files and adding maker-notes and properties to the xmp-file

XMP has no support for maker notes, and you should not make up your own XMP files. This will badly mess with what IMatch / ExifTool expect and what's now standard based on the Metadata Working Group guidelines for XMP. This is a really complex topic.

7.   Resize images for web publishing

Batch Processor.

8.   Copy meta-data from file to file

Use the built-in features in IMatch to do that (there are many ways).

9.   Mark files with the extension .dng if no corresponding file with the extension .jpg exist

Custom script.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

I'm a bit surprised that you needed all these scripts in 3.6.

aki-bs

Quote from: Ferdinand on July 30, 2014, 11:19:05 AM
I'm a bit surprised that you needed all these scripts in 3.6.

I created these scripts during the past 10 years.
I never have locked on a newer imatch version, if some of these scripts are no longer necessary due to new funtionalities of imatch.
When I will change to Version 5, I think I have to do this.