Database converter trouble

Started by Sandra, July 24, 2014, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra

Hi guys,
I have finally bought the upgrade from 3.6 to version 5 and I'm in the progress of converting my 3.6 database with the Database converter.

I have started the process yesterday evening and it stopped "completed" after 8.5 hours but.... the 5.0 database was empty  :(

So this morning I have re-started the process. Both the 3.6 database and the 5.0 database are on my second SSD internal drive. iMatch is also installed on the SSD.
It is now hanging in the step "Importing metadata from files. 77448 files to process"
Estimated time about 5 hours ago was 5.5 hours for this step but now it has been hanging at 3.5 hours for about one hour without making any progress.

It seems I simply can't get it through conversion  :(

Any help on this is greatly appreciated - just let me know what information you need further from me.
OS is Win7 64bit on a Thinkpad W520, 16 GB RAM.

Best regards
Sandra

Mario

Hi,

the Database Converter writes three log file files which contain important information about the conversion process. See the Database Converter help (press the Help button in the Converter) for info about the location and names of these files, then ZIP and attach them.

The Metadata Import for 80,000 files can take a very long time (but has to be done only once), but the converter gives progress feedback usually. Without the log files I cannot say more. Have you sufficient disk space etc?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Sandra

Hi Mario,

thanks for coming back so quickly. It seems to continue now so let's see if it finishes in the course of the day and if the 5.0 database is okay or empty again.

I can see two files:
IMatchDBConverterLog.txt and IMatchDBConverter.txt

and if I understand correctly, the third one will be created once the process is finished.

Yes, there is plenty of disk space, no issues there.

I have to go in about two hours and let it run. Will come back to you asap again.

Thanks
Sandra

Mario

If the log files grow in size or the CPU is busy on your PC (check the imatch5.exe process in the Performance tab) the converter is still running.
A database is only empty after the conversion when something really bad has happened, but in this case IMatch would not even start the metadata import and the protocol would be full or error messages...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Sandra

It eventually finished after more than 11 hours. A few metadata errors but nothing serious.
I had to re-open the database in order to see it. So open iMatch - last database (which was the one I added) loaded >> nothing. Opened the database manually again via the menu and the database loaded perfectly fine.

Not sure what happened the first time! However, I need to convert two more databases and will let you know if it works now like a charm or if I come across similar issues. The other databases are much smaller though with less files.

THANKS and regards
Sandra

Mario

Very good. Keep us posted.

Note: Whenever you notice something strange (e.g. a database which shows up without files???) keep the log file (and run it in debug mode, so we get detailed information). See How to report bugs
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator