Error writing back metadata - Temporary file already exists

Started by jarraun, July 30, 2014, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hi users,

Sorry to bring to life an old post but one of my NEF files always gives "Error writing back metadata" (Temporary file already exists), it´s a NEF file which has been only "touched" by the dead CNX2 Nikon software, I´am unable to modify any tag. Saving the file again with CNX2 does not help, nor does deleting XMP file. My preferences for metadata in IM5 are as default.

I enclose the Exiftool output and log file, I can send the file in question if necessary.

This problem seems to be related with duplicate or even triplicate values in {File.MD.Composite\City\City\0}, {File.MD.XMP::photoshop\City\City\0}, for instance: "Salamanca, Salamanca, Salamanca", which is quite usual in my setup, and also for {File.MD.Composite\Location\Location\0}.

I´am wondering if having installed in my system a diferent version of Exiftoool from this running in IM5 could be the problem. Any other ideas myself, support very welcome.

Javier

[attachment deleted by admin]

jch2103

Is there by any chance a file with a temporary ExifTool extension there? This sometimes happens if ExifTool has a problem doing an update. This may not be the root of the problem but it could complicate a solution.

You may need to do an ExifTool repair on the problem files.
John

Mario

Check the folder containing the file for files named exiftool_tmp and delete them.
Maybe ExifTool ran into an error in a previous session while trying to update the file and then left a temporary file in the file system. This does happen only under very rare conditions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

Thank you jch2103 and Mario,

I could not find any file whose name or extension include "exiftool_tmp". Renaming the file solved the problem apparently without more issues.

Javier

Mario

Keep an eye on it. ExifTool sometimes uses temporary files, and produces them from the original file name by appending the exiftool_tmp extension. It does this to protect the original file while writing. Only when the write operation succeeded, the original file is removed and replaced with the temporary copy.

When it cannot rename/delete the temp file (e.g. because the file is blocked by another app, virus checker etc.) the temp file may remain. And when ExifTool for some reason is unable to delete the tmp file on the next attempt, you get this effect. Happens rarely, I don't recall many reports about this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook