Renamer buddy file override

Started by Joe Austin, August 03, 2014, 03:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Austin

I would like to see an option in the renamer to override the buddy file protection.

I would like to use the renamer to copy jpg versions (buddy files) to a folder outside the database...

Also, I  generate jpg versions of raw files with ACR for various purposes.   The jpg versions have different suffixes according to their purpose.   I have a buddy file relation that handles these suffixes. When I want to redo the jpg versions of certain files, I send them to ACR and save them to a temporary suffix.   I import them into Imatch and review the new versions against the old.   In 3.6 I could then delete the old jpg versions and rename the new ones to have the same suffix as the deleted ones had (after all, they are replacements for the old ones).  In Imatch5 I am prevented from renaming the new versions without first disabling the buddy rule for the entire database.

Joe Austin

Just want to reiterate my desire to have this feature.   The workflow that I established in 3.6 is heavily impacted by the inability to batch rename buddy files with task-specific suffixes that do not break the established relations.  I'm sure there must be others who have a similar need......

Mario

This FR is online since August. No other user commented and I doubt many users need a feature to deliberately break or disable buddy file management in the Renamer. I can think of so many problems this may cause, and the many exceptions I would need to add in the Renamer code, I doubt that you will ever see this, sorry. This stuff is complicated enough as it is.

If you have so specific rename requirements, work with inverse versioning and things, I suggest you write a small script which performs the rename in whatever way you need it for your specific workflow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook