pins more colored?

Started by sinus, August 09, 2014, 06:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

I am not sure, if I overlooked something.

If you look at my attachement, then you can see, that the green dot is better visible then the green pin.

What also is a bit difficult, is the order of the pins, I guess, they are RGB, but if you look at the thumb, the green and the blue are very close, so it is not easy to distuingish sometimes (small thumbs and so on) the green and the blue pin.

Hence why not simply change the order to GRB, so that the red pin is in the middle and we can easy see the difference.

I looked in the help  :) and in the preferences, I found not a way to change this (I think, the order is not changeable, mybe the color, like the labels?)

Thanks, of course this is a minor thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

joel23

Quote from: sinus on August 09, 2014, 06:26:13 PM

If you look at my attachement, then you can see, that the green dot is better visible then the green pin.
This is because the green pin is not activated and the cursor was not pointed to the image; and, compared to the surrounding area, you have very small thumbs.
When pointing to the image the colors a clearly visible.

regards,
Joerg

Mario

The saturation and alpha values are the same for all icons in the thumbnail panel.
Activated (checked) icons are displayed with less alpha transparency.
If the mouse hovers over the thumbnail the icons are displayed at 100% opacity.

Hence why not simply change the order to GRB, so that the red pin is in the middle and we can easy see the difference.
I looked in the help  :) and in the preferences, I found not a way to change this (I think, the order is not changeable, mybe the color, like the labels?)

I would only start to consider this when you, personally, volunteer to re-create all screen shots used in the IMatch help, the photools.com web site, and the various guides, reviewer and press documentation which show the file window and the icons!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: joel23 on August 09, 2014, 07:25:04 PM

This is because the green pin is not activated and the cursor was not pointed to the image; and, compared to the surrounding area, you have very small thumbs.
When pointing to the image the colors a clearly visible.

Hi Joerg,
thanks for your answer!
Of course I agree with you, IF I point to an image, than we can clearly see the difference.
But usually you want see the difference, before you point to an image.
Imagine 20 thumbs on screen, the icons are made for this, that you can see, what image has what collections.

If you look at my new attachement here, then you can see, that the difference between a blue and a gree pin is not THAT big, the dots are clearly better differenced.
If you look a bit quickly over the thumbs, and MAYBE you have not more the best eyes, then I would dare to say, that the difference between a green and a blue pin is not so quickly clear.

Look at the relations icon, the dots or the flags: they are brighter and better viewable, at least for me ;)

Markus

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 09, 2014, 07:43:57 PM
The saturation and alpha values are the same for all icons in the thumbnail panel.
Activated (checked) icons are displayed with less alpha transparency.
If the mouse hovers over the thumbnail the icons are displayed at 100% opacity.

I would only start to consider this when you, personally, volunteer to re-create all screen shots used in the IMatch help, the photools.com web site, and the various guides, reviewer and press documentation which show the file window and the icons!

Hi Mario
I want first say, my post was only a question or/and idea, no critism!

I believe you, that saturation and alpha values between dots and pins are same ... nevertheless I see on my screen (OR WITH MY BAD EYES?) clearly a difference: the dots are better visible then pins. If you look at my attachement, then you can see this, at least I see it so.

That is why I became the idea to simply change the the red pin against the green pin, because then it would be clearly visible - I think.
If you hoover over a thumb, I agree fully, then the differences are very good, no question.

I understand fully, that you want not change the order of the pins, and if the colors of dots and pins are equal, well, than it is ok, like I wrote: Of course, this is a minor thing!

And last: well, I would really love to help you here or in other aereas of IMatch ... but unfortunately at the moment I have not the time. Hope, this turns sometime into more time for me!  8)

Markus

joel23

Hi Markus,
are you saying those green and blue pins which are to see are activated? Looks like their is an overlay or so...
On my IMatch all active symbols are (in the same way) bright and clearly to see.

regards,
Joerg

Mario

Markus, you are using a custom background color for your thumbnail panels, and this rather dark color interferes with the pin icons.
I'll see if I can saturate them a bit more, but with your dark background color, this will be difficult. If I make them lighter, they will look better with your dark background color, but all users which use the standard IMatch colors will probably complain.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

I tried to meet Markus' dark background (to see in my previous attachment), but I can darken it as much I want, I don't get this greyish overlay effect. Looks like the symbols are somehow switched to opaque.
regards,
Joerg

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 10, 2014, 08:49:29 PM
Markus, you are using a custom background color for your thumbnail panels, and this rather dark color interferes with the pin icons.
I'll see if I can saturate them a bit more, but with your dark background color, this will be difficult. If I make them lighter, they will look better with your dark background color, but all users which use the standard IMatch colors will probably complain.

Mario, thanks for looking into this (minor) thing, Joerg, thanks also to you!

I can set the background brighter or darker, it does not make a difference, pins are finally "darker", or like Joerg writes, in a way, opaqued.

Thanks Joerg's example I found out, I think, the source of it:

If the thumbnails are streched (like in the first attachement of Joerg), then the dots and pins are brighter (heller) and seems to be equal bright.
That is why Joerg cannot see my view of the dark pins.

If the thumbnails are not streched, like mines (to set in the layout of thumbs), then the pins are not so light like the dots.

So I could simply stretch my thumbs, but depending of the size and colours of the thumb, it looks for me not that "designed" like without streching.

Markus

joel23

Quote from: sinus on August 11, 2014, 09:09:54 AM
So I could simply stretch my thumbs, but depending of the size and colours of the thumb, it looks for me not that "designed" like without streching.
Ah, here we are. Speaking of not having the best eyes anymore: not that I knew that this can be changed, but it's better like this for my eyes ;)
regards,
Joerg

Mario

IMatch uses slightly different opacities for the stretch and no strech layouts. The lower opacity for no stretch in combination with your dark background affected the pins more than the dots because the pins are slightly lighter. I have now increased the opacity a tag and it's now better. Wait for 5.1.14.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 11, 2014, 02:51:12 PM
IMatch uses slightly different opacities for the stretch and no strech layouts. The lower opacity for no stretch in combination with your dark background affected the pins more than the dots because the pins are slightly lighter. I have now increased the opacity a tag and it's now better. Wait for 5.1.14.

Thanks, Mario!
As always, IMatch will be better and better  :D
Markus

sinus

Mario,

looks fine with the newest build .1.14
THANKS!
Markus