Colour change when viewing in File viewer and Slide Viewer

Started by Aubrey, August 10, 2014, 01:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have a Nikon D300 NEF file recorded in "Landscape" option. When I view in file viewer the colour is more saturated than in Slide viewer.

I thought that IMatch read the embedded jpg file, and therefore expected both images to be the same.

The file has also been converted to DNG using Adobe DNG converter, version 8.6.
When I compare the DNG file and the NEF file in the slide viewer the intensity is the same.  In this case I would expect that the DNG file will not be as intense as the NEF file; as I understand DNG converter will read raw data and provide it's own conversion.

Aubrey.

Mario

For RAW files, including DNG, IMatch always creates and relies on cache files. It produces the cache file when the NEF//DNG is added to the database, or when the image is first displayed. The preview is produced with whatever WIC codec you have installed on your machine. The results of a DNG file and the NEF can differ quite a lot, depending on a) whether or not the NEF has a usable embedded preview, which software and with which settings the DNG was produced etc.

Both the Viewer and the Slide Show are color managed and use the same input image (cache file). Although the slide show uses Direct 3D for smooth animations and blends, there should be no visible difference because the color management is performed by IMatch via the Windows color management system in both cases.

Please do this:

1. File a bug report (because this sounds like you are reporting a bug)

2. Provide the following data:

NEF and DNG file
Your Slide Show settings
Your Viewer settings (Edit > Preferences > Application: Viewer)
A screen shot which shows how the NEF and DNG file look on your system in the Viewer and the Slide show

3. Select the NEF file and run a WIC Diagnosis: Help > Support > WIC Diagnostics.
Save the file to a text file.

4. Select the DNG file and run a WIC Diagnosis: Help > Support > WIC Diagnostics.
Save the file to a another text file.

5. Pack everything into a ZIP file, name it com-3110 and upload to my FTP server. Contact me via email (see support below) if you don't have the FTP details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Erik

I was going to suggest that color management may be the issue.

I don't believe IMatch uses color management for the thumbnail window, at least not by default.  I assume that the original question, the file viewer meant the thumbnail window?

Mario

Good point. I interpreted "file viewer" as Viewer, not as File Window.
If the OP means the file window, he will see a difference because for performance reasons, the file window does not use color management by default.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I assume this is resolved by the related discussions about using the DNG as the visual proxy?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

This was resolved. I had set the versions to always use the dng and therefore the Nef embedded jpg was no being used.

Thanks,
Aubrey