Option for saving Rating and Label in database only (not as XMP inside image)

Started by lovstrom, August 12, 2014, 10:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovstrom

For me the most common routine is to add the "hard" metadata, such as description, keywords, gps-info, etc. to the images and then set them write-protected, and then archive them.

Metadata like Rating, Label, and Attribute I consider more "soft".
My feelings for an image takes some time to establish, and could change over time. So the Rating value could be assigned quite a while after the first metadata is written to the image.

The way of setting Rating, with just a keybord shortcut, is very convenient, but as it is a XMP-parameter it will flag unwritten metadata and set the little yellow pen.

I would welcome an option where it is possible to select to store the Rating and Label ( perhaps the the Attributes as well) in the Imatch database only. So when changing the Rating it will not result in any unwritten Metadata.

jch2103

Quote from: lovstrom on August 12, 2014, 10:17:35 PM
I would welcome an option where it is possible to select to store the Rating and Label ( perhaps the the Attributes as well) in the Imatch database only. So when changing the Rating it will not result in any unwritten Metadata.

Can't you do this now, with IMatch Attributes? They're stored only in the IMatch database, not the file, so that should meet your needs. You'd just have to set up custom Attributes for rating and labels.
John

sinus

Quote from: lovstrom on August 12, 2014, 10:17:35 PM
For me the most common routine is to add the "hard" metadata, such as description, keywords, gps-info, etc. to the images and then set them write-protected, and then archive them.

Metadata like Rating, Label, and Attribute I consider more "soft".
My feelings for an image takes some time to establish, and could change over time. So the Rating value could be assigned quite a while after the first metadata is written to the image.

The way of setting Rating, with just a keybord shortcut, is very convenient, but as it is a XMP-parameter it will flag unwritten metadata and set the little yellow pen.

Attributes are stored already only in the db.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Richard

QuoteI would welcome an option where it is possible to select to store the Rating and Label ( perhaps the the Attributes as well) in the I match database only. So when changing the Rating it will not result in any unwritten Metadata.

I would welcome an option that would allow ALL metadata to only be stored in the IMatch database until the user choses to write it to the file. That way a user could just leave it in the IMatch database or start a write-back to file at bed time.

RainerG

RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

ubacher

I, too, would like the option to not have labels and ratings written to the XMP.

Maybe a Cancel the metadata writeback for ratings and labels function would help.

herman

The way I understood this is that ratings and labels need to be written out to the master file in order to allow them to propagate to versions.
Also, if you need other applications to read rating and/or label they have to be committed to disk.

I suggest again to use categories (or attributes) to rate and label files if neither of the above conditions apply to you.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Ferdinand

Quote from: Richard on August 13, 2014, 12:07:47 AM
I would welcome an option that would allow ALL metadata to only be stored in the IMatch database until the user choses to write it to the file. That way a user could just leave it in the IMatch database or start a write-back to file at bed time.

I thought we had that now.  That's what happens if "Write-back changes to metadata immediately" is off, under background processing.  However if you want to propagate then you have to trigger write-back, as Herman pointed out.

What is requested in this thread is selective write-back, which is different.  So when writeback happens, certain items like ratings and labels would be exempt.  I'm not keen on the idea - it would be complex to implement, potentially confusing, and there are already ways to achieve something like this.  But we can vote.

Mario

Separating Labels and Ratings from the XMP metadata standard will not happen. There are so many other options a user can use in IMatch 5, it's not even worth to think about it. This is why I had moved this to Archive and now I will lock this topic too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook