Need an exclusion option for indexing sub-folders

Started by photoken, August 13, 2014, 08:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photoken

Win7 x64 SP1
IM5 5.1.12

The new behavior of adding sub-folders that are new or changed when IM5 starts is good for my camera directory, but is too general and needs to have an exclusion list of folders to not check for new items.

Here's the problem:
My \Pics directory has a few dozen sub-directories, and I do not want all of those sub-directories indexed by IM5.  Everything works well until one of those sub-directories that is intentionally not included in IM5 gets some new images dumped into it.  When IM5 is started, it begins to index the 19,000 images in that "junk" sub-directory and the only way I can stop that indexing is to remove the sub-directory from the file panel while IM5 is still trying to index it.

If the Preferences had a box to list the fully-qualified path of sub-folders to not index, it would be great.

As it is, all I can do now is to disable the "Include sub-folders" option, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the new method of indexing.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.

ColinIM

+1

As I promised to paulrus on his related query here ...
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3802.msg25373#msg25373

And (for folks arriving here at later dates) Mario offers a full and considered response  in that same thread to this earlier Request by photoken, and to Paul's (paulrus') new query about excluding folders from scans.

Colin P.

Ger