Deleting files

Started by P.Jones, August 17, 2014, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

Just imported around 300 photos into IM5, half of them being CR2 files the others the JPG versions out of camera. The files are automatically made into Master and Version on Import.

Viewing the photos in the Viewer Mode I can select 'Delete' then when exiting the Viewer I can then select Delete to delete the files I no longer require.

My question is

Is there any way of just selecting the CR2 master file for deletion so that both the CR2 and JPG version are deleted.

If not how do others deal with this situation?

Do you just mark the CR2 file and then mark the JPG file for deletion, in effect creating twice as much work.

Mario

If you configure your JPG files as buddy files for CR2 (Edit > Preferences > File Relations) IMatch will delete the JPG when you delete the CR2. It will also move/copy/rename the JPEG when you move/copy/rename the CR2 file. See Buddy Files in the help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on August 17, 2014, 04:15:45 PM
If you configure your JPG files as buddy files for CR2 (Edit > Preferences > File Relations) IMatch will delete the JPG when you delete the CR2. It will also move/copy/rename the JPEG when you move/copy/rename the CR2 file. See Buddy Files in the help for details.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that, I had deselected my CR2 buddy file.

Ferdinand

I prefer not to have JPGs as buddy files.  How I would do this is open a show all versions window with F4,S and then select all and delete.  You may need to have "Include originals with results" toggled.

P.Jones

Quote from: Ferdinand on August 18, 2014, 09:09:37 AM
I prefer not to have JPGs as buddy files.  How I would do this is open a show all versions window with F4,S and then select all and delete.  You may need to have "Include originals with results" toggled.

Hi Ferdinand,

What I'm actually doing is viewing the files in the viewer so that I can select the keepers and marking  those that need deletion.

Ferdinand

In that case I would set the reject rating and then once out of the view use the reject collection as the basis for my previous suggestion.  But I concede buddy files are simpler - I am just not comfortable with the idea.

Erik

Presumably, if you select the reject rating in a Master it would propagate if you have XMP (and ratings) set to propagate. 

Then you could just clear out the reject collection as Ferdinand mentioned.  That would essentially do what you are looking for in essentially one click per version set.

edit: actually in light of the other thread about rejection files, it may be that the reject does not get propagated since IM's reject is seperate from the XMP rating.   It means that if you want to utilize propagation for a reject rating, you have to set the rating to reject and not just use the IM reject function, which stays outside the metadata.  It should still be manageable.  There may be other ways using categories, etc.