Propagating Keywords

Started by P.Jones, August 17, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

Is it possible for keywords given to a Master file to be propagated to a Version

P.Jones

Quote from: P.Jones on August 17, 2014, 05:49:45 PM
Is it possible for keywords given to a Master file to be propagated to a Version

I've worked it out. I selected 'all metadata' which did the trick.

Problem is it changed all my 'Title' data which I have set to {File.NameExt}

Mario

Don't propagate "All Metadata" unless you understand what this means. All metadata includes EXIF, IPTC and other information you might not want to propagate, especially EXIF data is critical. Please read the help topics on metadata to understand what these commands do. Keywords are part of XMP, so if you want to propagate keywords, propagate XMP metadata, not all metadata.

If you propagate XMP data, it will also include titles. If you need per-file titles, you cannot use propagation.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on August 17, 2014, 07:49:53 PM
Don't propagate "All Metadata" unless you understand what this means. All metadata includes EXIF, IPTC and other information you might not want to propagate, especially EXIF data is critical. Please read the help topics on metadata to understand what these commands do. Keywords are part of XMP, so if you want to propagate keywords, propagate XMP metadata, not all metadata.

If you propagate XMP data, it will also include titles. If you need per-file titles, you cannot use propagation.

I've done a feature request to allow just the @Keywords to be propagated

Ferdinand

It should be sufficient to propagate XMP to propagate keywords.  The problem in your case is how you populate Title.  Seems odd to me to put the file name & ext in XMP like this.  Without this you wouldn't have a problem.  Or you could reapply your metadata template after propagation.  Or you may get your feature request granted. 

P.Jones

Quote from: Ferdinand on August 18, 2014, 09:16:27 AM
It should be sufficient to propagate XMP to propagate keywords.  The problem in your case is how you populate Title.  Seems odd to me to put the file name & ext in XMP like this.  Without this you wouldn't have a problem.  Or you could reapply your metadata template after propagation.  Or you may get your feature request granted.

Yes the Title is the problem and as you say I can do a work around but I feel to have the option to propagate just the keywords, like it works with propagating the Categories  would be beneficial to to not only myself but also others too.

Mario

Keywords are part of the metadata stored in the file, categories are only stored in the database.
Propagating keywords separately is tricky, because this not only means updates to the hierarchical keywords, but also to the flat keywords. And if IPTC data is propagated, also to the IPTC metadata. Various timestamps in XMP need updating, probably IPTC digest information as well.

Propagation is complicated as it is already. Making it even more complicated and error prone by allowing for even more exceptions and special cases useful to maybe a handful of users is most likely not worth it.

Versioning is about keeping metadata in synch between masters and versions. Keeping only keywords in synch, or everything except the title (because you use the file name as the title!) will do no good in the long run. Better to keep masters and versions as close as possible, or not use automatic propagation at all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook