Display Full Size NEF

Started by bnewman, August 28, 2014, 07:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnewman

I have used IMatch for many years, and almost every time a new version came out, I had a problem with viewing NEF files at full size. It has been frustrating every time, and here I am again. I cannot get the Viewer to show the full size no matter what I've tried.

I know that it has to do with having the latest NEF WIC codecs, so before I did anything I installed the latest NEF codec found on the Nikon page (version 1.23.0).  I have read the various messages in the forum, and have tried different cache settings, as follows:

Use Embedded Preview: tried both Yes and No.
Minimal Pixel Size: 8000
Purge: tried both Yes and No.

So, as I said, I've been at this point before, and here again. Each time, Mario advised some setting or another and eventually it worked. It's been absolutely frustrating, so I hope that Mario can help me out again. It must be frustrating for Mario too, but after so many versions, this strikes me as some kind of IMatch Achilles' heel. The blame seems to fall on Windows or raw file codec's but the trap is always there. Please help.

The WIC Diagnostic is attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The WIC diagnosis is OK.
You did not mention the nature of the problem. How large does IMatch display your files? Thumbnail size only? Preview, but too small?
Did you add the files to the database after installing the codec, or before? Because if you install/update the codec after the files have already been processed, the cache images and thumbnails have been generated already with whatever was installed before.

In this case you need to re-create the cache files via the corresponding commands available in the Media & Folders View and the File Window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bnewman

I didn't mention what I do see in Viewer: the files are what you called "Preview" size, somewhat large but not full size resolution.

I did install the codecs after the files were added. At first, I didn't understand what you meant by "re-create the cache files via the corresponding commands available in the Media & Folders View and the File Window". But I figured out to use the "Cache..." command in the Media & Folders Window.

I knew you would know. Thanks. Since I cannot possibly be the only person who experiences this, I suggest you might put some helpful little tip about this somewhere. Maybe it's already in the forum somewhere, but I couldn't find it, hence my post.

RainerG

I think you have the same problem I had also.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3201.0

Type at  left on a directory [STRG]+[SHIFT]+[F5] an see the additional commands. You must rescan the cache.
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Richard

QuoteSince I cannot possibly be the only person who experiences this, I suggest you might put some helpful little tip about this somewhere.

The following quote from help does, IMO, that changing what is cached requires that cached images need to be recreated afterwards. If you feel that your situation is not covered, you can let Mario know by using the "feedback" found at the bottom of all Help topics.
QuoteChanging cache settings only affects cache images created after changing these settings. To apply the settings to already existing cache images you need to re-create them.