Searching files by Filter Panel

Started by Robvog, August 29, 2014, 07:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robvog

I want use filter panel to search a file, named Alk.
When I set the search mode contains, it works, I get my file, but for my purpose I get to many additional files (althought in their names are the letters ALK)
So I want to be more specific. When I set the search mode Is: no any result.

What to do?
I tried to do this action and made a log of it, see attachment.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

jch2103

I just came across your post; must have gotten buried in the forum software.

Can you be more specific? What's the full file name?

I tried a similar search for a file named 'mrw.zip'. 'Is' = 'mrw' worked perfectly; 'Contains' returns additional hits, as you found.

John

Robvog

The full file name is Alk.jpg, just Alk, as I wrote.
And again: "is" gives nothing and "contains" to much.
I can't see whats wrong...

Ferdinand

"Is" works for me, as do the other options "Contains", "Begins with" etc.  I get the expected results.

I assume you realise that the filter works on the current context, i.e. the thumbs you can see in the file window.  If you want to search the whole database you have to select the Database node in the file Media & Folders view, or @All in the Category view (unpress the unpause button once or twice).

Mario

Quote from: Robvog on September 24, 2014, 09:11:35 AM
The full file name is Alk.jpg, just Alk, as I wrote.
And again: "is" gives nothing and "contains" to much.
I can't see whats wrong...
IMatch does not add files without an extension, so your file name must be Alk.jpg, right? If you use the "is", but you don't give the extension in your filter term, make sure to set the option "Ignore the file extension".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Perhaps Robvog does not know where (folder or category) the file is.  Apart from setting never pause and going to show hierarchy, how else can a file be found?  Is there a facility in IM5 I have missed?  There is a facility to do this in IM3.

Mario

Quote from: DigPeter on September 24, 2014, 04:56:02 PM
Perhaps Robvog does not know where (folder or category) the file is.  Apart from setting never pause and going to show hierarchy, how else can a file be found?  Is there a facility in IM5 I have missed?  There is a facility to do this in IM3.
Select database node. Enter file name in filer. Un-pause. Entire database is searched.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

If he finds the file with "contains", he is looking in the proper scope. But if "is" is used, IMatch compares the entire file name, including the extension. A file "BLA.JPG" will not be found when searching for is "BLA", unless you set the ignore extension option or you search for "BLA.JPG".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on September 24, 2014, 06:49:13 PM
Select database node. Enter file name in filer. Un-pause. Entire database is searched.
My question is whether there is another method.  In IM3, the Search menu has the option for file names, which operates on the complete database without having to display any "scope".  Is there is a similar method in IM5?

Mario

No. IMatch 5 is much more consistent than IMatch 3.
There is only one way to filter (search), whether you are looking in the entire database, drive, media, folder(s), category(s), collection(s), time-line node(s).

You bring what you want to search into the file window, and then apply the filter.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on September 24, 2014, 07:49:49 PM
No. IMatch 5 is much more consistent than IMatch 3.
There is only one way to filter (search), whether you are looking in the entire database, drive, media, folder(s), category(s), collection(s), time-line node(s).

You bring what you want to search into the file window, and then apply the filter.
Fine - thanks Mario.

Robvog

problem resolved for me now: I reinstalled IMatch and the filterproblem has gone.
Thanks everybody trying to help me.