Addition of an EXACT/NOT EXACT filter option for AspectRatio; Width/Height ratio

Started by ubacher, August 30, 2014, 07:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

For the Aspect Ratio: An EXACT  and a NOT EXACT filter option

I add a mock up of such a filter panel (but NOT EXACT is not shown on it).

Motivation: I may want to only have files with an exact x:y ratio. With this filtering I can either
- select only files with the exact ratio or
- select the files which are not exact so that I can make them exact.

For the case where one wants to find a specific ratio I propose:
The addition of a width/height variable. In the filter panel one
should be able to search for a "from-till" range of this variable.

Motivation: If I have to fill a space of a certain width/height ratio I can use this to filter out images which
fit into this space

ColinIM will want to add his request of making the ranges which are shown to be a certain
aspect ratio user defineable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Hm. Lets see how many votes this gets from other users. This seems to be a rather specific requirement and I'm not sure if this would be useful for that many users. And there are over 200 other feature requests pending. You could probably write a script which does this in 30 minutes...

I don't day I won't look into it. But there are surely other feature requests open which are more important and useful for a much wider audience.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Definitely: bug fixes come first.

I just had a case where I needed a file of a certain ratio and I had several candidates so
that I wanted to filter out the closest matches.  And I found IM could not.

Had another idea for flexibility: How about a File.Userdefined variable which a user could define with a script.
Haven't thought this thru yet though.

Mario

QuoteHad another idea for flexibility: How about a File.Userdefined variable which a user could define with a script.

Just fill an Attribute with a script. Or a metadata tag. Then filter on it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Because I needed to select by aspect ratio again I wrote a script which gives me the functionality.
I will post the script in the script forum.