Thumbnail brighness ("gamma" in version 3)

Started by johnsantana, September 02, 2014, 05:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsantana

I could not be more impressed with Imatch 5--it's far better than I expected or hoped.

My question is this: After converting a v3 database or starting a new one, the thumbnails are much too dark. In version 3, the settings included a "gamma" setting that allowed for adjustment of the appearance. With all the configuring possible in Imatch 5, I expect there must be something similar -- that is, a way to adjust the thumbnail brightness. This is not directly related to vibrancy or the file's icc -- ALL the thumbnails are too dark.

I've searched the forum here, and also the manual/help documents but can't find the answer. I hope someone can fill me in.

Thanks,
JS

Mario

The gamma setting was a thing of the very old past.

IMatch 5 uses a fully color-managed workflow (Viewer, Quick View, Slide Show, thumbnails optional).
No need to dial in custom alphas, it could even lead to really bad results. There is no option which affects the brightness of thumbnails in IMatch 5.

Never had a report about thumbnails being too dark, and IMatch 5 is around for almost two years now (Alpha, Beta, Final versions).
Which settings to you use for your thumbnails? Edit > Preferences > Application: User Interface.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Panther

I thought I had the same problem too, the first time I tried to view the new version 5 database I was trying to convert from my version 3.6 database - all the thumbnails were too dark.  Turned out that they were basically "grayed out" because version 5 was seeing them as "offline" because the image files had been moved to a different drive.  I guess that's just the way version 5 has of signalling that there's some sort of problem or process underway (they're also still dark while it's working on the "relocate" command I gave it to tell it where the files are now).

The thumbnails in the little test database I did from scratch in version 5 were fine as far as brightness/gamma was concerned

Mario

When a file is in an 'intermediate' state  (e.g. currently being imported) IMatch dims the thumbnail and display the blue 'processing' icon inside the thumbnail panel. See the file window help for details about the icons and states used.

When IMatch imports a folder, and the folder contains files for which a quick 'rough' preview can be rendered (e.g. JPEG files), IMatch does this if the user displays the folder currently being imported in a file window. This allows the user to quickly see the files contained in the folder. After the real thumbnails have been created, the temporary rough thumbnails are replaced.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook