Updating IM5

Started by P.Jones, September 08, 2014, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

I read somewhere on the forum a post by Mario that said if you have moved certain folders like presets, appanel etc from there default location to somewhere else, when you update IM you have to manually move some new folders/ files created by the update as they are placed back into the default locations again and not into the new location.

Any ideas which files or folders these are, I have searched but can't find it

Mario

IMatch uses Windows installer for clean and consistent installs, updates and removals.
IMatch also respects all standard folder locations (per user, all users, application data) to ensure that it runs on all Windows variants, corporate networks with roaming installs etc.

By default, IMatch data available for all users is installed into

%PROGRAMDATA%\photools.com\IMatch5

Per user-data goes into %APPDATA%\photools.com\IMatch5

You can see the folders under Edit > Preferences > Application. There is also a documentation in the help.

The IMatch installer does not know (and cannot know) if and where you relocate the standard folders. If you relocate the standard folders for whatever reason you need to manually copy the files over from the default installation location.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2014, 03:18:29 PM
IMatch uses Windows installer for clean and consistent installs, updates and removals.
IMatch also respects all standard folder locations (per user, all users, application data) to ensure that it runs on all Windows variants, corporate networks with roaming installs etc.

By default, IMatch data available for all users is installed into

%PROGRAMDATA%\photools.com\IMatch5

Per user-data goes into %APPDATA%\photools.com\IMatch5

You can see the folders under Edit > Preferences > Application. There is also a documentation in the help.

The IMatch installer does not know (and cannot know) if and where you relocate the standard folders. If you relocate the standard folders for whatever reason you need to manually copy the files over from the default installation location.

Hi Mario thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions regarding the above.

I have relocated the apppanel, presets, scripts and dictionaries folders to a new location, in my case to a partition on a SSD drive

I:\apppanel
   presets
   scripts
   dictionaries
   previewcache

Q1. If I copy over files  from the default location wont these over write any of my user files in these folders or have I got to selectively pick and  choose only certain files so this doesn't happen

Q2. I also tried to relocate the Geo Panel Base Page to

I:\geo\imatchgeo_ol.htm

but when I restarted IM I got an error message saying  that C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\geo\imatchgeo_ol.htm was missing

Mario

Q1: If you have changed presets etc. you need to keep it.

Q2: The geo panel uses fixed folders (security reasons). You cannot move it to another folder because you cannot configure the folder in IMatch.

Note: Keeping all this data on a SSD has has no performance benefit. Except for the cache folder that is.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2014, 08:08:54 PM
Q1: If you have changed presets etc. you need to keep it.

So I would have to remember not to copy across all the 'user' folders from the default installation location and keeping any other things I have changed. This sounds like to much hard work, I'm bound to forget to do this.

I think I will be better off leaving everything in its default location, apart from the cache folder.

I'll try this instead, update IM5 on Win7 then run Pack and Go. Update IM5 on Win8 then run Pack and Go Restore

Mario

When you are not in the habit of changing system scripts or templates/presets I ship with IMatch, there should not be that much of a difference. When you save presets etc. yourself they will be stored into these folders, but not replaced when you install a new version of IMatch. It all depends on what you change in these folders. Any folder comparison tool can show you the differenced, and then you can decide.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator