annotations from keywords, rather than keywords from annotations

Started by Ferdinand, September 09, 2014, 04:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdinand

It appears to me that you create keywords from annotations, rather than create annotations from keywords.  That is, you enter "tag" for a face annotation, and this creates a keyword.

As far as I can see you can't tell a face annotation to use an existing keyword.  It would be more useful to manage these keywords outside of annotations and use them in annotations, than to manage them entirely inside annotations.

Can we please have the ability to create a face annotation and then assign an existing keyword to it?

See https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3261.msg21835#msg21835

Not necessarily a high priority, but I think a number of people would find this useful.

Erik

I support this one. 

I haven't gotten around to testing this out, yet, but I had just assumed that one would be able to potentially use the thesaurus for annotations.

Mario

QuoteAs far as I can see you can't tell a face annotation to use an existing keyword.

This is implicit.
Keywords are just text. If you have a keyword Paul and you assign the tag Paul to an annotation, the file gets the 'existing' keyword Paul of curse. Annotations don't use a separate set of keywords or anything. If you use a tag which does not yet exist, a new keyword and matching @Keyword category will be created. You can use tags with paths and you can even configure where you want to create the keywords, e.g. under your WHO top-level keyword.

I don't see how annotations may be created from "existing keywords". How would that work? Or do you mean you want to select the tag from a list of keywords to save the typing?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2014, 09:06:31 PM
I don't see how annotations may be created from "existing keywords". How would that work? Or do you mean you want to select the tag from a list of keywords to save the typing?

Yes, I guess that's it. 

Some of us have several layers in our Who keywords.  I do a lot of music photography and so have keywords under Who|Musicians & Who|Bands & Who|Family and &Who|Friends and so on and some of these have a *lot* of names.  I avoid inconsistent spellings by using the Thesaurus and this works well.  If I have to type them into a face annotation then I risk inconsistent spelling, or there's additional work to go to @Keywords or the thesaurus and copy and then paste in the annotation for *every* face annotation I insert.

And I certainly don't want annotation keywords on the top level of @Keywords and so as you can see, I can't specify a single point in the hierarchy to use in the current Preferences field.  I think that I would not be alone in this.

So yes please - some sort of lookup.

marco88

Hi,

I created a large number of categories to classify the people (mostly family) I have in my database.

I would need a way to select when creating the annotations from my list of categories.

For instance I start type Marc in the tag section of the annotations and a LOV appears with the last of categories that include Marc in it.

I then select the correct one and the category is now linked with the face annotation.

Cheers
Marc.

lnh

Quote from: Ferdinand on September 10, 2014, 11:01:20 AM
Quote from: Mario on September 09, 2014, 09:06:31 PM
So yes please - some sort of lookup.

+1

A pickable reference to what already exists in the database would be great!

Mario

IMatch 5.2.8 introduces some changes in Annotations, how Face Annotations are mapped to keywords etc. A dynamic pick list is part of the new feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook