Perpetual updates

Started by Hobbyfotograf, September 12, 2014, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbyfotograf

Every time I rescan my database, 6270 Files get updated. I've tried at least three times consecutively, still 6270 Files to update.

I haven't changed anything for these files, and all the metadata has already been written. The file timestamps also didn't change in between the three updates.

Database diagnostics didn't find anything and compact database didn't help.

Thanks for help

Hobbyfotograf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hobbyfotograf

I've added some screenshots of my settings.

Mario

The log file shows no trace about folders being scanned or files being added or updated...
Must be the wrong log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Hobbyfotograf

I've added a new logfile of today. I've had a look at it and here, it says something about AddOrUpdateFile. The same .NEF File (for example 2014_08_25 14_51 2931.NEF) gets updatet twice, every time because "Cache image outdated or missing".

Maybe something is wrong with my cache settings?

The cache folder has not reached the maximum size, it's only 4.2 GB.

Mario

You triggered a folder rescan from the Media & Folders View.
IMatch checked all files in that folder.
Some files have no or an outdated cache image. Since you are using the default cache setting, IMatch puts these files into the background processing queue in order to create the cache files.

At 11:05:13 IMatch starts loading NEF files and HDR files.
When the log ends at 11:54:39 IMatch is still loading files and creating cache images. About 4300 files were processed so far.

If you shut-down IMatch, it will continue processing the remaining files in the queue. What does the Info & Activity panel show? How many files are in the queue? This all looks OK to me, IMatch just finding a lot of images without cache files, producing them in the background.

No errors in the log, and only one warning about you having not installed a dictionary for the spell checker. You should do, because having spell checking in the Metadata Panel, Attributes Panel etc. is cool.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Hobbyfotograf

Hi Mario

Thanks for your quick replies! The problem isn't, that it takes 50 Minutes to update the files. The problem is, that the same 6269 images get updated every time I trigger a rescan, always with "Cache image outdated or missing". I've rescanned now more than 10 times, it happens every time. Somehow Imatch doesnt find the cache Images or thinks that they were updated. But I haven't changed anything of these Images.

Thanks for the info about the spell checker, I just installed the ones for german and english

jch2103

It may be useful to run Help/Support/WIC Diagnostics on some of the 'problem' files. It may shed light on why caches files apparently aren't being generated.
John

Mario

You can check if the cache file exists (and where) by pasting the following variable into the App Panel Var Toy App:

{File.CacheFileName}

Your log file shows that IMatch is loading the files extracting thumbnail data. That's the typical behavior. But it does not show that IMatch is creating a cache file! But no error or warning either...

The typical behavior is:

IMatch rescans a folder
Finds a file with a missing or outdated cache file
Adds the file to the background processing queue
<repeat as needed>

At some later time, IMatch loads the file and finally creates and stores the cache file.

1. Please check that the cache folder configured under Edit > Preferences > Cache exists and is writable and that there is enough disk space.
2. Select one or more files with this effect and press <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5>. In the dialog, choose "Update Cache only".
3. Check the variable and see if it contains a value

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Hobbyfotograf

Hi Mario

1. Folder exists and is writable. I've found some Files with cache Images: All my .nef without a .jpg version.
2. Done
3. Variable doesn't contain a value.

Maybe a problem to do with the versioning? All the .nef that have a .jpg version don't have cache images: thats probably by design, since I've set the .jpg as visual proxy and IMatch is by default configured not to produce cache images for .jpg. But when I do a rescan, it somehow still updates the file because it misses the cache image.

Mario

Sigh. Another one of these special cases...
If you set caching to "on-demand" the problem will be gone.  We could have saved a lot of time if I would have known that fact from the beginning...

Please also add a real bug report, with a link back to this thread. I will look into this for one of the following releases.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Hobbyfotograf

I'm sorry, I didn't know that this would be the problem.

I've changed the cache settings. Now it still takes quite a while to rescan the Folder, but it doesn't update anything after the check. I can live with that.

I didn't add a bug report at first, because I thought that it would be just a wrong setting.

Thanks

Hobbyfotograf

Mario

IMatch only rescans a folder (or files) when the folder timestamp does not match the timestamp recorded in the database. If other applications modify the folder contents, IMatch has to rescan it. But a rescan which does not find any changed or new images usually takes only a few seconds, even for a folder with thousands of files. And, IMatch does this in the background so you should not notice this or have to wait...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Hobbyfotograf

Hi Mario

The rescan of a folder with 15600 Imates takes 8 minutes, not just a few seconds. But I think I've found the reason for this: IMatch also updates all the file relations, even when nothing changed in the folder:

C:\Fotos_Temp\Lapplandreise\02_Sarek\Panorama\2014_08_30 09_59 5524.NEF
09.28 11:34:20+    0 [19AC] 10  I>             File is current (1)
09.28 11:34:20+    0 [19AC] 10  M>         <  8 CIMEngine5::AddOrUpdateFile
09.28 11:34:21+  422 [19AC] 10  M>         >  8 CIMRelationManager::UpdateRelations  'IMRelationManager.cpp(2382)'
09.28 11:38:45+264313 [19AC] 10  I>              #FindRelated: 6592 masters, 4 definitions, 6592 links found. 43454464 files analyzed.
09.28 11:38:45+    0 [19AC] 10  M>          >  9 CIMRelationManager::DeleteRelations  'IMRelationManager.cpp(2271)'

It takes a few seconds to check, if the files are current, then it takes minutes to update file relations. I've done this twice, whitout changing anything in the database or with the folder. The same happens every time. IMatch doesn't seem to remember, that the file relations didn't change in between. Maybe you could add another rescan option: Normal Rescan without updating File Relations?

Mario

You are right. IMatch is supposed to check if a file was added/updated/removed in the scan and only update the relations in this case. Seems that a check is no longer working, probably a side effect of another change. I'll check that for the next build.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator