Date differences

Started by Canay, September 16, 2014, 06:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canay

I'm doing a filter by ratings then by date and I noticed that some photos weren't showing up that should. In checking out the files it appears that there are two dates in the metadata panel and they are different. One is a Date Digitized and one is the Date Created. These two dates should be the same. The Date Digitized is the correct date. It is the date I took the photo. Attached is a screen shot. The folder includes the shoot date in the name, which is also the Date Digitized in the metadata panel. I do not know where the Date Created came from. Doing a random check some photos are ok and some have this random 3/3/3014 date as the Date Created. 

What are my options? Can I do the filter based on the Date Digitized? Can I locate all the files with the incorrect date and change it to be the correct date? Worse case scenario is I visit each folder and add the one star photos to a separate category.

Thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

IMatch just displays what's in the metadata of the file. The typical date is Date Created. Some cameras set Data Digitized to the same date. If a analog camera was used to create the photo (Date Created) and later the photo was digitized using a scanner (Date Digitized).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Perhaps some other software (not IMatch) accessed and modified the Date Created?

In any event, the easiest solution to getting the dates in sync would probably be 'Commands/Image/Modify EXIF date and time'. Alternatively, you can use a metadata template to copy the 'correct' date/time to the desired tag for the affected photos. You should be able to use a filter to identify the affected photos.
John

Canay

Quote from: jch2103 on September 16, 2014, 07:23:07 PM
Perhaps some other software (not IMatch) accessed and modified the Date Created?

In any event, the easiest solution to getting the dates in sync would probably be 'Commands/Image/Modify EXIF date and time'. Alternatively, you can use a metadata template to copy the 'correct' date/time to the desired tag for the affected photos. You should be able to use a filter to identify the affected photos.

These are all photos taken this year with either my phone or a digital camera. I'm not sure what other program might have changed the date. Two recent things that have happened is getting a new computer that has windows 8.1 on it, then updating from IMatch 3 to IMatch 5. I'm not sure why either of those events would have had anything to do with the dates changing. If I'm inclined I could 1. look at the same photo from my old computer and 2. look at the same photo in IMatch 3 to see what dates they have. However, I"m not sure what I would do with that information! I prefer to just go forward and correct the situation. I will look into your suggestions and see which ones work the best. Moving forward one step at a time and occasionally taking two steps backwards...

jch2103

Quote from: Canay on September 16, 2014, 09:18:13 PM
I will look into your suggestions and see which ones work the best. Moving forward one step at a time and occasionally taking two steps backwards...

As always, first try on a few test images.
John

joel23

Quote from: Canay on September 16, 2014, 09:18:13 PMHowever, I"m not sure what I would do with that information! I prefer to just go forward and correct the situation. I will look into your suggestions and see which ones work the best. Moving forward one step at a time and occasionally taking two steps backwards...
I wonder which software wrote those different timezone offsets (-7, -8)?

Anyway. I would go the way via Exiftool Gui since it's IMHO the easiest way to sync those dates. Download Exiftool Gui and save it in IMatchs' folder -> C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com  It will use the Exiftool.exe it finds in there.

In IMatch find and move all effected images to a certain folder. Launch ExifTool Gui, jump to this folder, mark all images and use Modify -> Exif: DateTime equalize. Use "DateTimeOrignal" as source and execute it. You see only one value for the first image or so in the dialog, but all marked images are adjusted according to their "DateTimeOrignal" values.
Rescan the folder in IMatch.  After that you need to move those images manually back to the folders where you want them to be.  ::) But...
Hope it helps. See attachment.

regards,
Joerg

Canay

If I want to set up a metadata template to copy the date and time digitized to the date created field.
What variables would I put in Tags and Fill the tag from this this data field?

I've tried doing it myself and when I ran the template the date digitized copied to the date created field. But when I clicked the yellow pencil, the date created reformatted and only shows the year not the month and date. Maybe I used the wrong variable?

Attached is a screen shot.

Mario

See this thread from yesterday:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3384.msg22298#msg22298

It explains why and how to format variables in order to produce the standard ISO date and time format ExifTool expects.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook