Fuji X20 RAW Image Size

Started by Ian Pollen, October 03, 2014, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Pollen

Hi,

I am currently testing IMatch 5 and it imports my Nikon NEF files perfectly... now I have installed a CODEC :-)
But I also have Fuji X20 RAF files that import with the incorrect image size reported. They should be 4000 x 3000 but instead show 2048 x 1536.
The Microsoft Codec reports the following so not sure if it is a Codec bug or not. Looking at the metadata the correct and incorrect image size is shown in different fields.

Testing file '\\NASRAID2\photos\2014\2014-04-26\RAW\140426_001.RAF'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Microsoft Camera Codec Pack'
      () 160x120 pixel in 16 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Microsoft Camera Codec Pack'
      () 2048x1536 pixel in 31 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Microsoft Camera Codec Pack'
      () 2048x1536 pixel in 0 ms.

Regards, Ian

Mario

It seems that the Microsoft codec does not understand the specific RAF flavor your camera is producing. Try to download the latest WIC codec from Fuji (If they offer some) or the most recent MS codec. If both fail to load, you have to wait. That's the price users pay for working with undocumented, proprietary and ever changing RAW formats like .RAF.

Or, try the FastPictureViewer codecs. They are not free (10 US$) but well worth it. They are usually the first to offer support for new RAW formats. Check their web site to see if your camera is supported.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ian Pollen

Hi Mario,

Thank you for the quick reply.

These were the latest MS Codecs and to my knowledge Fuji do not offer one :-(

I installed the latest FastPictureViewer codecs and still the same problem. They also report the full res image size as 2048x1536. Buried in the metadata is a field labelled RAWImageSize and this is set to the correct size of 4000x3000. Lightroom and Capture One report and the size correctly.

Regards, Ian

Mario

QuoteLightroom and Capture One r

IMatch receives the image size from the codec so whatever the codec returns is what IMatch displays as the image dimensions. If the codec does not support your format, contact the vendor and send him a sample file. Usually Fuji just again shifted around some of the data and the codec vendor can create an update pretty quick. I don't reverse-engineer RAW formats anymore so I cannot help you here.

If the only problem is that IMatch displays the image dimensions 'wrong' in the file window, you can easily customize a file window layout which displays whatever metadata tag contains the 'right' width and height. This could be a work around for you until Microsoft or FastPictureViewer updates their codecs - or Fuji finally recognizes that WIC is around for almost 10 years and that a proper camera vendor should make it easy for their users, not hard...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Quote from: Ian Pollen on October 03, 2014, 03:07:49 PM

I installed the latest FastPictureViewer codecs and still the same problem. They also report the full res image size as 2048x1536. Buried in the metadata is a field labelled RAWImageSize and this is set to the correct size of 4000x3000. Lightroom and Capture One report and the size correctly.
Are you sure about the size? On my RAF I get 4.096 x 3.012px for RAWImageSize
---- RAF ----
Raw Image Full Size             : 4096x3012
Fuji Layout                     : 12 12 12 12
Raw Image Full Width            : 4096
Raw Image Full Height           : 3012

Anyway - in the Fastpicture Console Control Panel you need to switch off using the embedded preview, which is 2048 x 1536px. After that you need to do a "Force Update" in IMatch and you'll get 4.032 x 3.012 or 4.000 x 3.000px:

Testing file 'N:\RAW samples\RAW_FUJI_X20.RAF'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Fuji Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 160x120 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Fuji Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 2048x1536 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Fuji Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 4032x3012 pixel in 0 ms.
regards,
Joerg

Ian Pollen

Thank you for the suggestions and yes Joerg you are correct the size is indeed 4096 x 3012 ...whats a few pixels between friends ;-)

I am going to try the settings Joerg detailed for the FastPicture console, thank you.

Ian