hierarchy display in keywords

Started by Joe Austin, October 11, 2014, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Austin

This is probably an obvious oversight on my part, but I can't seem to get hierarchical keywords generated from my thesaurus.
I have read the help section on this and set up a simple hierarchical structure in my keyword thesaurus similar to the one in the help.   The structure displays as expected in the keywords panel , but when I select the leaf word in the keyword panel thesaurus display, I get only the leaf keyword not the hierarchical path/leaf.

I can select other words in the path and they will be entered into the current keywords window as single keywords as well.

I have "Show hierarchy" configured in the window,   and if I manually type in a hierarchical keyword it displays as such, but I can't seem to generate hierarchical keywords from the thesaurus.

Am I missing a setting/configuration?

jch2103

See the attached simple sample thesaurus text export. This works for me for entering hierarchical keywords; for example, typing 'Koalas' in the Keywords text entry box causes a pop-up containing the full path 'Animals|Mammals|Koalas'.

[attachment deleted by admin]
John

Joe Austin

Thanks, but I have the thesaurus entry.

See the attached image...  in the help this example produces a hierarchical keyword, but I only get the leaf.

Mario

Which version of IMatch 5 are you using?
Please click on the Gear button in the Keyword panel and make sure Show Hierarchy is enabled.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joe Austin

I am using 5.2.6 and "Show Hierarchy" is turned on.   

The hierarchy does display if I type in the keyword (see the one|two|three keyword in the 'Recent' panel).

Joe Austin

Found the problem.   Somehow the "Subject" group level in the thesaurus became corrupted.

In a later session I found that one of the keyword entries I made under Subject|mammal could not be deleted.  I could remove the synonyms and the name of the entry, but nothing would delete the entry.   At that same time I noticed that the 'Subject' group no longer appeared in the thesaurus in the keyword panel.

I exported the thesaurus to text, opened in a text editor, and found a blank line directly under the 'mammal' entry (probably blank because I had removed the name trying to get rid of the entry).   I removed this blank line in the text editor, imported the text file into my keywords thesaurus and the problem is fixed.  The undeletable entry is gone, and my hierarchical keywords now appear.

Perhaps a bug?

Joe Austin

Happened again with my locations structure.   This time the leaf gets no hierarchy, but the next level up does.   See images.

Exported my thesaurus to text again but can see no problem (the indents are only two spaces in my text editor)....

lizard
[Locations]
   Africa
      Masai Mara National Reserve
      Samburu National Game Reserve
   Brazil
      Matto Grosso
      Matto Grosso do Sul
   North America
      USA
         Florida
         Maryland
         Montana
         Virginia
         West Virginia
         Wyoming
            Grand Teton National Park
            Yellowstone National Park
lodge

Mario

1. Open bug report so I can look into this later.
2. Export your thesaurus in native format (text looses to much information).
3. ZIP and attach to your bug report.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joe Austin

At the moment I have also gotten the 'Locations' branch working as well.  I had to delete and redo the branch by hand.

It is possible that this problem occurs as a result of  my using the copy/paste feature in thesaurus context menu to move existing entries into different hierarchies and then deleting them in the original location.   Is that not the intended purpose ?

If I get another occurrence of this problem I will post the thesaurus in the bug forum.

Mario

I have no idea. The thesaurus has not changed for a very long time. May be an old yet undiscovered problem. Or may be a problem which only ever happens on your computer and with your thesaurus...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator