Listing of metadata, stored in the IM-db?

Started by sinus, October 23, 2014, 08:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi all

I am in the field to check the cooperation between Photoshop(Lightroom) and IMatch.
I use for raws xmp-sidecars.

This is not easy, because we can easy loose data, what we entered or what was in the file or in the sidecar, when we act not carefully.
Hence I am searching a workflow, where I do always the same (click the pencil, open Lightroom and so on).

With ExifTool I can list

-all data what are (maybe is in English is correct?) inside the file (embedded)
-all data what are in a xmp-sidecar - file

I have a raw-file (nef in my case), no sidecar and no storing (not click on the pencil), fresh out of the cam and imported in IM5.
Now I enter some text into the Metadata-Panel or use a template for doing so.

Is there a possibility to list all metadata, what are embedded in the file AND (or) what are stored in the IMatch-DB?

I can of course look all data in the Metadata-Panel, but this is a bit cumbersome.
I do simply not know, if there is such a possibility.

If yes, fine.
If not, then no problem, is it only a question.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteThis is not easy, because we can easy loose data, what we entered or what was in the file or in the sidecar, when we act not carefully.

How can you lose metadata? IMatch will only change metadata in the file when you allow background write-backs, or you explicitly write back. IMatch never replaces the entire metadata record in your files, it only adds, removes or updates tags which really need changing. This ensures that the metadata in your remains as "original" as possible.

Adobe software often rewrites, strips ir mangles metadata . to you have to be a lot more careful if you let LR touch your files. Unfortunately, LR gives you almost no control over your metadata, and only shows the metadata tags Adobe considers useful. Basically they hide a lot, and have a rather undocumented way of changing metadata. Since millions of users use LR and other Adobe products, this seems to be OK.

QuoteIs there a possibility to list all metadata, what are embedded in the file AND (or) what are stored in the IMatch-DB?

You see what's in the DB in the Metadata Panel in Browser Mode.
Tags which have been modified but not written show the pen icon in the "modified" shape.
What else would you need?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Thanks, Mario
We can simply loose metadata, when we set some stupid preferences in IM5, for example. Very easy.  8)
And if you take the propagation, then I have yesterday lost orientation of images (horizontal instead vertical), Adobe profile ICC, headline and so on.

Your prefs are very good, I think  ;D but mine have been quite wrong (specialy the propagation, because the metadata-prefs I have used the defaults of IMatch).

But with help of ExifTool I could see, what was wrong, and with help of your helpfile.

That is why I came on the idea with the IMatch-listing, ExifTool inside IMatch shows very good a list of ALL (I think) metadata-stuff, but I thought, IMatch has also more inside the db, would be nice to have listed them also neatly.

But in fact, it is not more necessary now, because I found my errors (false propagations and not enough thought about the sidecars), so I think, that all is fine for me.

Hence all this metadata-stuff is solved for me (at the moment)  8)

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The Metadata panel in browser mode shows all tag data IMatch has in the database.

I need to check, but as far as I know, the default file relations a user can activate in IMatch (when creating the database) all propagate only IMatch data, but no metadata at all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook