Metada not automatically propagated from Master to Version when copying files

Started by jarraun, November 29, 2014, 09:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hi users,

When I copy a JPEG version image to a folder where is the NEF master image the version is automatically recognized but master´s metadata are not automatically propagated to version. When I do a manual propagate metadata are properly trasfered to version. Reading the help it seems that metadata are propagated to versions only when metadata in master file are changed. Is this correct ? Is there a simple way to automatically propagate metadata from Masters to Versions when copying files to folders with masters?

Looking forward to your always very apreciated answers.

Javier

Mario

QuoteReading the help it seems that metadata are propagated to versions only when metadata in master file are changed. Is this correct ?

IMatch propagates 'on change' (when the master is changed) and also when new versions are detected, e.g. while scanning a folder or when you copy/move files within IMatch. Please check that this is enabled under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing on your system (Automatically search for masters...).

I just copied a JPEG from folder A to folder B. Folder B contains a RAW master that matches the JPEG file. IMatch added the new version, linked it and propagated collections, categories and metadata from the master to the new version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

Thanks Mario

In Backgrond indexing preferences all options bellow File Relations are checked "Automatically refresh relations" wich seems to work and "Automatically propagate data from master to versions" that doesn´t work for me.
Unfortunately not the same behaviour here but it must have something to do with my present intrincate IM5 - CNX2 workflow, too long and boring to explain here and surely of little general interest. I will manege it other way.
Just a little doubt, if it is posible to do a manual propagation from master NEF to version JPG, why IM5 don´t do it automatically ?

Mario

As I said, it works here.
When I create a new JPEG for an existing master (e.g. by copying a file in Windows Explorer, in IMatch or by creating a new JPEG in an external application), the new file is indexed, detected as a version and the data from the RAW is automatically propagated. If this fails for you, we need to find out every detail in your version setup, relation rules etc. to find the difference between a standard IMatch setup (mine) and yours - maybe this tell us why it fails on your system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jarraun

Ok Mario,

I´ll try to explain you briefly, please don´t spend much time with me, as I said I can manage it.

• Copy master NEF´s  (metadata in XMP sidecar, not embeded) from original folder and paste to folder A.
    • In folder A open NEF´s in Capture NX2 software (I know you hate it  ;D), output as TIFF´s and save to folder B.
    • In folder B open TIFF´s in IM5 and batch processing to JPEG´s
    • Copy batch processed JPEG´s and paste in the original folder where master NEF´s live.

I know this is complicate but I have reasons to do so. Please find image attachements. I can also send you the logfile if needed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cytochrome

Quote from: jarraun on November 30, 2014, 05:24:05 PM
Just a little doubt, if it is posible to do a manual propagation from master NEF to version JPG, why IM5 don´t do it automatically ?

Select the NEF(s), do F4-R, then F4-P, if it does not propagate there is a problem in your versioning definitions.

Francis

jarraun

Francis,

Metadata manual propagation from master to versions is done without troubles in my system, the problem is automatic propagation.

Mario

I suggest you file a bug report for this, with a link back to this thread.
I will then look into your specific problem for a future release of IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jarraun

QuoteI suggest you file a bug report for this, with a link back to this thread.
I will then look into your specific problem for a future release of IMatch.

So kind Mario, done. Thank you.

Javier