Reverse geocoding sometimes not working

Started by Carlo Didier, December 07, 2014, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Steps I did:
- Select a number of images with GPS coordinates but only partial or no other location information.
- In the Maps panel, click the "Reverse geocode selected images" icon
- Dialog opens, click "Lookup all", nothing happens, click Ok to close dialog
- All selected files get the yellow pen and the metadata panel shows the same values for all the selected files (instead of the different values)
- click the yellow pen to update metadata
- in Adobe Bridge I can see that the location info has not been changed in the files
- with single images or a different set, it sometimes works

When I use Geosetter to lookup the location information, it gets it and the files are always correctly updated.

Log file attached (debug mode)

[attachment deleted by admin]

lnh

What reverse geocode provider are you using? I've had better luck with Google, and also sometimes ended up with blanks with the other provider (don't remember it's name off hand).

Mario

You are using GeoNames.org for your mapping.

1. Do you have an account with GeoNames.org or do you use the test account? The test account handles over 1000 entries world-wide per day so GeoNames may reject your requests.

2. GeoNames is run by volunteers. They don't demand payment and they don't sell your data. On the other hand, they may not have sufficient data for the areas you are trying to lookup so you may not get a response.

3. GeoSetter is tied directly with Google (I think) so maybe you should witch IMatch to use Google to get the same results. READ THE information in the IMatch help file before you switch to Google so you understand the consequences when you send your personal data to Google.

From the help:

QuoteWhen you use the Lookup all button, IMatch queries the geocoding service for each file. It specifies a smaller search radius in this mode and uses the first match returned for each file. You can review and correct the results by navigating the list of selected files and changing data manually or by pressing the Lookup button again to see alternatives for the currently selected file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: lnh on December 07, 2014, 10:37:42 PMWhat reverse geocode provider are you using?

The same as I use with Geosetter: geonames.org (my own account)

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on December 08, 2014, 08:35:22 AM1. Do you have an account with GeoNames.org or do you use the test account?

I use my own account with geonames.org for both iMatch and Geosetter.

Mario

I did not see any provider-related error messages in your log file, which makes me assume that the data was retrieved and processing correctly. Not sure how I can search effects like "Lookup all does not do anything". I see that IMatch is requesting information from geonames.org and also retrieves data. I just processed 200 files form a shot yesterday and it works great.

Is this related to a specific file?
Specific set of files?
Specific area?
Specific date and time you try to use reverse geo-code?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on December 08, 2014, 03:35:12 PMIs this related to a specific file?
possibly, needs more testing

Quote from: Mario on December 08, 2014, 03:35:12 PMSpecific set of files?
see above

Quote from: Mario on December 08, 2014, 03:35:12 PMSpecific area?
definetely not

Quote from: Mario on December 08, 2014, 03:35:12 PMSpecific date and time you try to use reverse geo-code?
probably not, as I tried iMatch and Geosetter within less than a minute, and Geosetter worked.

Quote from: Mario on December 08, 2014, 03:35:12 PM"Lookup all does not do anything"
that means exactly what I said. I click on the button and absolutely nothing (visible) happens. The infos in the fields in the dialog don't change. It's as if I hadn't clicked the button.

Mario

If you use the All button, the contents of the file visible don't necessarily change (only when new information is retrieved from the provider). You can step through all files in the dialog to see if and which information was retrieved for each individual file. Are all files empty?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Mario

Show me a log file in debug mode from such a session.
IMatch logs all error messages returned by the mapping provider.
Did you try Google?

Please file a bug report so I can schedule time to deal with this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

The log file is attached to my first post in this thread.
Before posting a bug report, I want to check if it's file related. That would help in the debugging.

Mario

The original log file shows no errors or warnings, just several successful attempts to retrieve information. Not that an "empty" result is a successful result as far as it concerns IMatch - it just means that the provider could not find address data for a given set of coordinates.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator