Mouse wheel scroll rate

Started by clpratt, January 03, 2015, 07:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

Mario,please can there be an option to reduce the scroll rate in the Meta data panel. It seems to scroll about 16 text lines for each mouse wheel click. Changing my mouse settings in Windows has no effect. Such a huge jump causes me to loose my place when visually searching the data. I know I can use the slide bar, but I prefer to use the mouse wheel.

thank you
Chris

Mario

The Metadata Panel scrolls 1/4 of a page, with a minimum of 8 rows - which seems to work well for most users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Mario,
so no possibility of a change then? I don't recall any other programs that scroll in such large jumps.
I'll have to get used to using the slidebar instead.

Chris

Mario

Of course I could change this, by adding per panel scroll ratio options or something. I just wonder how much users would ever need such a thing. Let's keep your feature request open for a while and see how many users comment on it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Why not simply use the Windows mouse settings? They should be authoritative for any application.

Mario

IMatch uses the system settings. I just scroll 1/4 of a page or 8 rows for each mouse tick.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

I would largely prefer to scroll as many clicks as I have configured in my mouse settings, as is the default behavior of applications generally.

Mario

You mean scrolling as little as one row for each click? I would not like that. Way to slow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on January 05, 2015, 03:16:32 PMYou mean scrolling as little as one row for each click? I would not like that. Way to slow.

That's why you can change that in mouse settings in the control panel.

Mario

IMatch does not scroll by "lines" in this panel. Since the line height can vary for each tag (depends on the tag and the settings in the layout) it scrolls 1/4 of a page, with a minimum of 8 pixels.  That's maybe 120 to 200 pixels for a 1/2 height panel on a normal monitor.

I did not implement anything fancy here, like re-calculating the number of visible rows on each wheel turn or something.

I assume you have your metadata panel configured to fill the entire height of the monitor?

I changed the scrolling to scroll by "lines configured by user in control panel" x caption bar height. This scrolls almost the same as before for 1/2 height panels, but will scroll less for larger panels or larger monitors. This should do what you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on January 06, 2015, 09:41:50 AMI assume you have your metadata panel configured to fill the entire height of the monitor?

No, but I used the scroll bar until now to scroll smoothly (meaning slowly enough for an old man to see what is displayed  :) ) as it wasn't possible with the mouse wheel ...

Ferdinand

Let me start by saying that I haven't found a problem with the existing behaviour.

Quote from: Mario on January 06, 2015, 09:41:50 AM
I changed the scrolling to scroll by "lines configured by user in control panel" x caption bar height. This scrolls almost the same as before for 1/2 height panels, but will scroll less for larger panels or larger monitors. This should do what you want.

I've use software that operated this way.  I'm fairly sure that it was Bibble5 (and if so, then I presume that Aftershot operates the same way, although I can't be 100% sure as Corel has reskinned it twice). 

This was useful, because one way to use a RAW converter is to put the mouse over an adjustment slider and move the mouse back and forwards.  Typically you want very fine control when you do this, and so you configure the mouse wheel scroll settings in the control panel to a low setting.  This was fine in Bibble 5, but a pain in other software and in Windows more generally, as scrolling using the wheel became very slow. 

(Actually, in B5 & ASP you can change this yourself without resorting to the control panel by hacking various .ui files, but it's a pain to do so.)

I'm sure I came across another RAW converter that had a preference setting for scroll behaviour, rather than using the windows setting, but I can't find which converter it was now.  This was better, because you could get fine control without affecting other applications.

Now I know that you have no intention of giving us such an option, so I hope the new approach is not too different to the old approach at typical settings.

clpratt

Mario,
many thanks for changing the scroll rate. I find it much more user friendly now.

Chris
:D