Reverse geocoding

Started by joel23, January 12, 2015, 08:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel23

Why is it, that reverse geocoding often offers me a multiple choice for the location when doing a "Lookup" on a single file, but not when using "Lookup all" on multiple files with the same coordinates?

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Joerg

Mario

When you lookup multiple files, IMatch uses the first returned address for each file. You can then navigate and check. See the help for details. Just press <F1> while the dialog is open.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Quote from: Mario on January 13, 2015, 08:39:52 AM
When you lookup multiple files, IMatch uses the first returned address for each file. You can then navigate and check. See the help for details. Just press <F1> while the dialog is open.
Hm, if the first address which is returned does not fit me for a single file, I am able to choose another address.
On multiple files with the same coordinates I need to do that for all files separately? This is a bit inefficient, isn't it?
regards,
Joerg

Mario

Lookup all means "Fetch the first address for each file". Then you navigate between files in the dialog, control, lookup again for the given file or correct the address manually. That's actually pretty efficient. IMatch does not display 100 address selection dialog boxes when you lookup coordinates for 100 files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Quote from: Mario on January 14, 2015, 09:00:04 AM
Lookup all means "Fetch the first address for each file". Then you navigate between files in the dialog, control, lookup again for the given file or correct the address manually. That's actually pretty efficient. IMatch does not display 100 address selection dialog boxes when you lookup coordinates for 100 files.
Okay. I don't want to navigate between all files - I want to apply one (the right) address to all files.

Anyway. When checking for Carlos problem I came across another discrepancy I don't understand. Using the coordinates of the image in Carlos video:

Lookup for a single file:
City: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh Ward

Lookup All would set:
City: Kerrysdale

With "fill only empty fileds" set and a Lookup for every single file after that, IMatch sets
City: Kerrysdale

It's not realted to the coordinates or location - I had similar with my own files.

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Joerg

Mario

This sounds like you are reporting a bug?
Please open a separate bug report. I don't track posts in the general discussion forum.

Lookup all is implemented as it is and works as designed. You can, after all, lookup addresses for files spread over hundreds or thousands of kilometers. There will no "one is right" address for all. If this does not fit your workflow, lookup each file individually. You can do that also in this dialog, navigating from file to file and pressing lookup to get the address data for the current file - this also gives you the address choice.

If you think that the lookup all should work differently, post a feature request.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

joel23

Quote from: Mario on January 14, 2015, 01:02:47 PM
This sounds like you are reporting a bug?
Please open a separate bug report. I don't track posts in the general discussion forum.
Yepp, done already - just wanted somehow a verification, 'cause this does not behave as expected in the other points.

QuoteLookup all is implemented as it is and works as designed. You can, after all, lookup addresses for files spread over hundreds or thousands of kilometers. There will no "one is right" address for all. [/qoute]Of course not.
QuoteIf this does not fit your workflow, lookup each file individually. You can do that also in this dialog, navigating from file to file and pressing lookup to get the address data for the current file - this also gives you the address choice.
Yes, I know it is possible somehow.
But
1. say there are 100 images with the same coordinates and I'd get a choice of four addresses when I do a single Lookup. For some reason choice #2 fits me best (there may be errors in the databases). I'ld expect to get this choice as well when I do a Lookup All, otherwise I would have to do a single Lookup for every image and apply choice #2. This is what I meant when I called this inefficient.

2. say I have a choice of 100 images with different coordinates. Nice would be, when IM for an image for which only one address exists in the geonames DB applies this address to the image. After that IM may jump to the second image and here four possible addresses exist. Would be nice IMatch would let me choose another address without I have to click Lookup again... Similar to how Geosetter treats this cases
regards,
Joerg

Mario

I have added a new feature for the 5.3.4 release for this dialog box.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

joel23

regards,
Joerg