Reverse geocoding prob & How to copy geodata to multiple photos?

Started by CollieDog, January 21, 2015, 02:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CollieDog

I have encountered two problems while working with geodata

1. How can I copy the geodata from one photo and paste it into others?  Can I copy and paste the lat-long coordinates together with the Location data that should include an address and other locational data?

2. Reverse geocoding does not seem to be working. I activated Google in the Geo&Maps setting along with BingMaps and Geonames. But when I open Reverse Geocoding and select "Look up", I receive a message saying "Imatch could not establish a connection with the geocoding service at geonames.org. The server may be unavailable or too busy."  It doesn't seem unavailable. I can go to their webpage and it says I'm logged in. What might be wrong.   

Thanks everyone

Mario

1. There are many ways in IMatch to copy metadata. In the Metadata Panel. Via the CopyPaste Attributes etc.
If you want to copy/paste specific metadata tags, the easiest way is to setup a metadata panel layout which contains these tags and then use this. Or use the Copy/Paste Attributes command.

2. Geonames.org is a free service. Do you have a user account? If you use the test account still, it will just have been exceeded for that day. Even if you use your own (free) account, geonames.org may refuse requests if the server is too busy or you generate too many requests. Switch to a paid plan in that case.

Try the Google reverse geo-coder by switching to it under Edit > Preferences > Geo & Maps. Read the legal stuff in the help and on the Google web site before using this service provided by Google.

Always include the IMatch log file if you report things like this, because the log file will tell us more about the problem. See log file in the IMatch help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

fischmir

If I want to copy geo-data from one file to another I usually work with favorites/ locations. If it might not be usuable: I select the image I like to copy from and open the map-panel. The location is shown. Then I select the new image and choose "Assign Location (or equivalent)" from the pointer in the map-panel.

I also miss a easy copy&paste function for geo-data; but this works for me.

Mario

What do you consider as "geo-data"? The lat/lng/alt? Or also one or more of the location tags existing in the XMP record? Or the about 20 or so other tags available in the GPS record, which is part of the EXIF data record in your files (and mapped to XMP as well)? Many of these depend on each other...

If you want to copy lat/lng/alt, you can do so via the Metadata Panel. And if you also want to copy one or more address or location records, just include these as well. Whatever you consider "geo data". If you don't know how you can copy data between files using the Metadata Panel, check the help or post a question here.

Have you tried the Copy/Paste Attributes command? It has even settings to copy XMP GPS data (or regular GPS data)...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook