Food for thought: Category input using "dasher" input method.

Started by ubacher, March 19, 2015, 07:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

Have you tried the program "dasher" which allows text input by just small movements with the mouse?
I can recommend downloading and installing it just to try. (Wiki page, free, uncomplicated  program)

What just occurred to me was that this would possibly be a good method for category entry.
Assuming of course that it could be adapted and that one has a reasonably hierarchical category tree.
Food for thought!

Carlo Didier

Interesting system. Probably a good thing for people with disabilities.
Personally, I always found that predictive stuff (like on smartphone virtual keyboards) is more annoying than useful, but that is mostly because they never support my native language ...

Mario

There are maybe a dozen methods to assign files to categories in IMatch already, from Category View to Favorites and the various methods in the Category Panel.

I have not looked (no time) at the program you mentioned so I cannot comment of assigned files to categories by small mouse movements will improve the workflow for more than a handful of users.

I can assign dozens of categories to thousands of files with a few mouse-clicks in my Favorites Panel, triggering entire splasher sequences with a click or an <F3> shortcut. Maybe you are not utilizing all the features for category assignments already in IMatch?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook