New preset behaviour forthe batch processor and the batch renamer

Started by ben, March 19, 2015, 09:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hi Mario,

the batch processor and the batch renamer should be changed to the new workspace behaviour.
i.e. changing the active configuration doesn't change the saved presets.

Thanks,
ben

ubacher

My suggestion for presets:
A flag which shows that the settings have been changed since they have been saved last
and/or a button to reset to saved settings.

ben

ok, a flag indicating if the preset has been changed and then a button to reset it to the saved settings would be fine as well.
Though, i think that handling the different presets should work the same way throughout iMatch.

Mario

All Import/Export modules use a centralized storage module for presets. All work the same.
Some export modules use 200 and more options / flags and settings. Figuring out what was changed will require a massive amount of coding. I like the current way better, that IMatch keeps all your changes in the current preset.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteI like the current way better, that IMatch keeps all your changes in the current preset.
Do you talk about the way the "new" workspace presets work or the old one? You changed the behavior for the workspace presets in on of the last updates. I think it is now way better.

Will you make all presets work the "new way"?

Mario

Workspaces and import/export presets have nothing in common. Totally different things. I did not speak about workspaces.

All Import & Export modules have presets.
You can create new presets, change existing presets, delete presets.
The way these presets work is coded in the core of the import & export system in IMatch.
All import & export modules have a concept of the current preset. In the Batch Processor, you change what you see. All your changes are automatically recorded and stored in the current preset. No way you can loose any setting, no need to explicitly save your changes etc. It's all taken care for. If you plan to make changes to a preset but you want to retrain the original preset, just clone the preset under another name before you start making changes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteWorkspaces and import/export presets have nothing in common. Totally different things
    These two things might be different in terms of the implementation but from the user point of view, they are very similar.

QuoteAll import & export modules have a concept of the current preset. [..] All your changes are automatically recorded and stored in the current preset.
    Right, and that's exactly the problem.
    There were lots of discussion which finally led to the new behavior for the workspace presets. All those arguments count for the other presets as well.

Example:

• You set up a batch processor preset which you want to use regularly.
    • Sometimes you use similar settings with only one parameter changed. So you use the preset, change one parameter, run the batch processor and reset the parameter to the original value.
      Of course you could use a cloned preset, but usually i cannot be bother.
    • Then after a while you cannot be sure, if you original preset is still the same. You might have changed it unwanted once.

Personally, i consider this as a very important feature request.[/list]