Too many files selected

Started by clpratt, May 06, 2015, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

I often select a large number of files then check in the metadata panel for multiple values in particular fields.
The first time I do this with a large number of files the warning box "Too many files selected" appears.
"You have selected a large number of files. The Metadata Panel shows only the metadata for the focussed file and does not attempt to merge the metadata of all selected files".

I accept this is a limitation on my proposed objective and I dismiss the warning box with the OK button, but I leave the "Don't show again" box unticked.
Unfortunately when I select another large number of files I do not get another warning message and I have no way of knowing whether my new selection is exceeding the limit.
Please could I know:
1. what is the maximum number of files allowed
2. can there please be a further warning box when this limit is exceeded, or a flag saying "excessive files selected"

Chris

Mario

I have explicitly made this message a "show once per session" because users complained that it was displayed every time.
When I recall correctly, the limit for the metadata panel is 1000 files, and for the keyword panel 2000 files. If that limit is reached, no attempt is made to merge the metadata of the files - it would take too long.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Thank you Mario, I understand users complained when the message was displayed every time the limit was exceeded. I personally wouldn't mind waiting longer for merging a larger number of files.
As you are unlikely to reinstate the message display or otherwise indicate the limit has been reached by a flag or other, perhaps you could please state the limit numbers in the warning message box. Even if we see it only once we will then know what the limits are.

many thanks
Chris

Mario

The limits are 1000 (MD panel) and 2000 (KW panel).
I have added a note to the corresponding help topics.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Thank you very much Mario.

Chris