A way to indicate/show that a folder contains files not indexed by Imatch.

Started by ubacher, May 14, 2015, 08:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I found  myself deleting a folder which Imatch indicated contained zero files but which indeed contained some
file which were of a type not indexed by Imatch.
The request I make is:
When deleting a folder which contains files not indexed by IM ( IM shows 0 files)  there should be a warning

I also encountered situations where I knew that a non-indexed file existed - and it was inconvenient to go to
the explorer to search for it.

I am soliciting comments on how one could conveniently add a "tell me about files I can't see" option to IM.

Mario

IMatch is designed based on the assumption that the folders you manage in IMatch contain only managed files. Mixing non-managed files with managed files can impact many features, including moving or copying folders. It's generally not a good idea. You can add your custom file formats via Edit > Preferences > File Formats or let me know the format so I can decide whether or not to add it as a standard format.

I had a check for non-indexed files in IMatch 3, but I did not bother to add the same check in IMatch 5. It sometimes took 5 to 30 seconds just to parse a folder hierarchy in the file system, checking each file found against the database to determine if the file is indeed not indexed by IMatch. File system operations like this are very slow, especially when a virus checker kicks in and starts to scan each file "on access". This actually came back several times as "IMatch not responsive" or "IMatch hanging while deleting folders" in the past.

Let's see how many other users run into this situation often enough that it should become a feature. If this is a real problem for many, I will think about how to handle this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I think getting some odd files mixed in with your images is unavoidable. Some specialty programs produce these.
It is easy to add these to Imatch - provided you know about them and want them.

I will look into writing a script which checks for such files - if it can be done(?)  Just to inform me.

However my request I still consider valid:
When deleting a folder which contains files not indexed by IM ( IM shows 0 files)  there should be a warning

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on May 14, 2015, 10:32:10 AM
IMatch is designed based on the assumption that the folders you manage in IMatch contain only managed files.

I think that's not the best assumption to make. I, for example, often have a copy of a GPX log file in the folder with the correspoding images, because they belong together. But I don't want to see or index these GPX files in iMatch.
There could be other files related to the images but irrelevant to iMatch. All of those, I don't index in iMatch because it wouldn't make sense for me (I'd have to filter them out all the time).

Mario

That's not the issue. It will only be an issue for you when you delete folders in IMatch and want to keep the GPX files. And expect IMatch to scan the to-be-deleted folder and inform you about the fact that there are GPX files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Photon

Various tools including image editors are creating files or subdirectories which shall not be managed by Imatch. For some events, I have e.g. xls files with participants and other files, which I exclude from Imatch, because I like to see in Imatch only the preferred image or video files. For the CaptureOne RAW-Editor I am using subdirectories for all the C1-internal meta files. The subdirectories are hidden, because I do not like them to be visible in Imatch.

A warning from Imatch when deleting a non-empty directory would be very beneficial.
BTW, it is a annoying in MS-Windows, that you receive always a warning when deleting a directory even when it is completely empty.
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |

Ger

Photon wrote:
QuoteBTW, it is a annoying in MS-Windows, that you receive always a warning when deleting a directory even when it is completely empty.

Try playing with the option Display delete confirmation dialog in the Recycle Bin properties in Win 7/8.

See screenshot

Ger

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Photon

Quote from: Ger on May 15, 2015, 08:26:23 AM
Photon wrote:
QuoteBTW, it is a annoying in MS-Windows, that you receive always a warning when deleting a directory even when it is completely empty.

Try playing with the option Display delete confirmation dialog in the Recycle Bin properties in Win 7/8. See screenshot

Thank you Ger, but that is not what I like to have with windows.
I like a warning dialog, when the folder is not empty and no dialog when the folder is empty.
This because deleting an empty folder is no real risk.
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |