Migration from IM3 to IM5 - Best way

Started by lightchaser, May 15, 2015, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightchaser

Hi there,
I'm preparing to migrate from IM3 to 5. Had a disaster last year, when I started the migration without preparation. Time is money, you know, and the process of migration to IM5 will cost me a lot of time! Thought about using LR5 not only as RAW converter, what I currently do, but also as DAM software. I'm not sure what would be the better choice and make less trouble. Any thought about that point would be very welcome!!
I must say that I'm very happy with IM3, having the perfect workflow, but Mario convinced me, that this solution won't work for the future.
Now the second question: should I (if I decide to anyway) migrate with the DB converter or just let the software import my images (~ 200.000) and export (from IM3) my categories and import them into IM5. What do you think.
And finally a third question: should I import my thesaurus from IM3 to IM5? I've just synonyms in it, no hierarchical keyword. Your suggestions?
Franz

Mario

Did you try the database converter yet? Any problems with it?
A 200,000 files database should convert easily over night, not using up any of your precious time.
Let us know how this turns out. Keep the log files in case of problems. The converter writes 3 log files, see the converter help topics for details and file names.

You can import your thesaurus or not, depends on what you want. The IMatch 5 thesaurus has an import tool for this purpose, details are in the Thesaurus help topic in the IMatch help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

I've converted both ways and both worked. Take your pick. But personally I'd allow more than overnight for 200k images. Of course that depends on how many jpg, raw and tiff. Jpgs are faster. The main  stumbling block that a few people have had is files with invalid metadata that exiftool couldn't handle. That's less likely now, as there is code to catch these files.

As for the thesaurus, how do you want to use it? Have you studied the difference between categories and keywords?

lightchaser

Thank you, Ferdinand, for your reply.
Actually I know the difference between Categories and keywords from IM3, but maybe I've missed something new with IM5?
At the moment I just could not find the "Import Thesaurus" button in the Import/Export area in the Menu? Is there another place where I can find this function?
Franz

rainforest1155

Franz,
The thesaurus import option is located in the button bar of the thesaurus manager. See "The Universal Thesaurus" help page for details.

Sebastian

Ferdinand

Quote from: lightchaser on May 15, 2015, 09:59:47 AM
Actually I know the difference between Categories and keywords from IM3, but maybe I've missed something new with IM5?

Keywords have an expanded meaning in V5, and are in effect an alternative to normal categories. The main thesaurus relates to keywords. I suggest you read the help on this before you migrate.

Mario

Before you do anything else: Read the For IMatch 3 users in the help topic, and also the introductory topics. To open the help, to go the "Help" menu in the main menu bar and there choose "Open Help System".  The important For IMatch 3 users help topic explains what has changed since version 3 of the product, the important changes (e.g. what the special @Keywords category is and why it is important for you).

If you need help for a specific feature, e.g. the Thesaurus, just press <F1> while the feature is on-screen (The Thesaurus Manager is open) or type, for example, thesaurus into the help index. The help has probably answers for 99% of your questions, and also contains tons of examples, workflow suggestions, how-to's, tips & tricks.

One of the direct answers when I search for thersaurus is "IPTC of IMatch 3", for example.
Search for thesaurus and open the help topic.
Open the table of contents at the top to see all sub-topics, and then click on "Importing IMatch 3 Thesauri" to see how it's done.

You cannot figure out such things just by poking around in the UI. Or at least not as quick as you can find the instructions in the help. The IMatch 5 help system is a very important part of the entire package. IMatch 5 is huge, and has tons over tons of features. When you try something new or don't know how something works, the <F1> key is your friend.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook