Cache and thumbnails

Started by YuriyVZ, May 31, 2015, 12:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YuriyVZ

I'm use only JPEG and set Cache working mode to OFF. Some days after that I try to add new files to database and no thumbnails was generated. Only after some hours I found that no thumbnails generated for JPEG more then 1Mb size!!! And than found option Maximum file size in Cache Tab.

May be will be better to place this option to Database tab with thumbnails size option?

Mario

The cache is independent from thumbnails.

IMatch creates thumbnails in the size configured by you (by default: 300 pixel, to change go to Edit > Preferences > Database) when it indexes files. The cache is used only for 'full-size' preview in the Quick View Panel, Viewer, Slide Show. See 'Cache' in the IMatch help for details.

The maximum file size in the Cache is by default set to 0, which means that IMatch creates thumbnails and cache files for files of any size. In the rare case that you work with files with several hundred MB or even GB in size, you can prevent IMatch from creating thumbnails and caches for these files by using this option. But it's rarely needed an off by default.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

YuriyVZ

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2015, 08:28:06 AM
The maximum file size in the Cache is by default set to 0
I don't change this option it was set to 1 by default.
And when Cache was turned on this options ignored. But when I set Cache to OFF, no tumbnails is generated.

I convert my database from IMatch3. Is it this option for current database or global?

Mario

Very mysterious.
I checked the code. As far as I can tell, this option is set to 0 by default, and the only way to change it is in the Cache preferences dialog.
The setting is per-database.

Disabling the cache has no influence on thumbnail generation. IMatch always extracts a thumbnail (except the maximum file size limit configured in the Cache options). If you set this to 1 MB, no thumbnails or cache files for files > 1MB will be generated.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

YuriyVZ

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2015, 11:26:34 AM
Very mysterious.
Yes...

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2015, 11:26:34 AM
Disabling the cache has no influence on thumbnail generation. IMatch always extracts a thumbnail (except the maximum file size limit configured in the Cache options). If you set this to 1 MB, no thumbnails or cache files for files > 1MB will be generated.
I think it will be better to have separate options for cache and thumbnail.

Ok, this topic only information for other users.

Thank you for IMatch!

Mario

No need for separate options.
This option is only there to allow you to tell IMatch not to produce thumbnails/cache files for your GB-size panoramas. What good would it be to have this option once for thumbnails and once for cache files? It's that way since I introduced it and I'm pretty sure 99% of all users will never used this threshold. It's only for a small percentage of users which deal with massive file sizes. Best not to complicate things further.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator