Navigation help in Viewer Window for 100% zoom

Started by grauschaf, August 19, 2015, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grauschaf

In the File Viewer I zoom to 100% with 'z', the filmstrip is still visible. Other applications (Photoshop, DxO, ...) indicate the zoomed Area in the thumbnail. This makes it easier to navigate in the zoomed window. In these Applications ther are two ways to navigate:

1. Pan the zoomed window using the left mouse button. This is the way IMatch does too. The marking in the thumbnail moves accordingly. Would be great, if IMatch could do that.
2. Move the marking in the Thumbnail. The zoomed Window pans accordingly. Very comfortable :)

The main aspect for me in the moment is to "see where I am in the zoomed Window". I will add a screenshot, which might make it clearer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinus

Displaying the zoomed aerea in the thumb would be nice.
I support this first point of your FR.

The second point (moving the marking) I think, would be maybe not easy to implement, but I have no idea.
But this second point, for me, is not very necessary.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

This will be hard to implement either way.

I currently don't see that such a feature would be useful for many users. I'm open, though. Like this post if you want to see this implemented.

But, how can you get 'lost' when panning? I mean even when you use 10,000 pixel files on a 1600 pixel screen, with <Shift> + MouseMove in the Viewer you can pan so fast that you can always reach whatever edge or the center of the image with a minimum of mouse movements...why would you fiddle with a tiny box in a thumbnail to pan instead? Or why is the actual ratio of the zoom (assuming fit-to-window or a non-100% zoom) so important that you need an indicator for it in the thumbnail? This may be eye candy, sure, but is it really needed? How often do you rely on it?

My usual view on such things is: If it takes me one or two days to implement/test/document such an enhancement, would it be worth it? Would many users benefit from it? I plan some major changes for the Viewer for the 5.5. or one of the following releases so I will look at all Viewer-related feature requests at that time, implementing them in 'one go' when I change the Viewer anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

I understand what is being asked for.  I've seen it elsewhere.  I like the idea in principle, but like Mario I wonder if it's of sufficient benefit to be worth the trouble and priority.  Agnostic.

DigPeter

Grauschaf  is asking for a feature which I find useful in LR.  With a large file on a 1200 pixel screen it is not always clear which part of the image is displayed.

grauschaf

QuoteOr why is the actual ratio of the zoom (assuming fit-to-window or a non-100% zoom) so important that you need an indicator for it in the thumbnail?

I don't Need the indicator for the zoom amount. I would use it only for navigating. Mario is right mentioning the very fast panning with the <shift>-key. It's a great help. But even with this option it is a kind of "try and error" for me to locate the desired area in my Picture.
Of course it is my individual way to to this and other users don't see need if this feature request. And effort and benfit have to be compared. IMatch saves me a lot of nerve-racking work and my request is only "nice to have".

Besides that: I like the democratic way to vote for the requests. But why is there no "Like"-Button beside this Topic? I don't need only help for IMatch...;)

sinus

I saw a like-button and pressed it for liking.  :D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus