v5.5?

Started by ben, August 20, 2015, 11:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hey Mario,

i know you don't like talking about release dates... it's done when it's done

But i am very curious. ;-)
Which changes do you plan that are not mentioned in your preview pdf?
Will there be a beta? When?

ben

Mario

You are right, I don't talk about release dates.

IMatch uses an agile development process. This means I ship updates often (about every four weeks) with new features, enhancements and bug fixes.

Major new features like the printing module (with months of development time) require a lot of up-front planning. This is why I introduce them in . releases (5.5, 6.0, ...). And since IMatch 5 was released in June 2014 and I have shipped about 50 (!) updates for free since then, 5.5 will be a paid upgrade.

Running a Beta test requires a lot of effort on my part. And since the printing is 'just' a new export module, every user can try and test it without affecting other IMatch functionality. If you don't like it, report back. If you find a bug, report back. If it crashes on your machine, don't use it and wait for the bug fix to be released. Whatever else you do in IMatch will work as in the 5.4.* release current before the 5.5 came out.

I have about 40 enhancements on my own to-do list. This covers a wide range of things, from utilizing the GPU more (graphic card) to improve render performance ('Fast Viewer') to all kinds of 'web-related' technologies. To early to speak of, and a too public place as well.

And of course there is the official feature request board which holds quite a number of FR's which got some attention and Likes and are thus likely to be implemented sooner or later.

Rest assured that you will not be disappointed. :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteRest assured that you will not be disappointed.
i'm sure, i won't be disappointed.

Just wanted to knock on the door a bit more and you opened it up a tiny little bit.
So there will be more changes, beyond the printing module.  ;D

Is it gonna be a x-mas present or something for next year? ;-)

Mario

QuoteSo there will be more changes, beyond the printing module.  ;D

No. I did not say that. I just said that a large feature like the printing takes a long time to develop - and I cannot develop multiple features at the same time. I ship things as soon as they are finished. If some other things are good to go, I'll include them in the 5.5. Else not.

I assume you would rather have it the other way: I implement new things but don't include them in the regular updates (only shipping bug fixes) and then I add - !bang! - 20 new things to a specific release?

Even if printing would be the only feature for the 5.5 it would be good value.
I'm sure I can find some small things I could throw in as well to allow me some marketing blurb like "50 new features added!!!" if that is what users want... 8)

And I also need to build new installers, update the web site, the customerWeb portal and suchlike. A lot of work going on behind the curtain that is necessary but does not 'show' in the software itself.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

QuoteI assume you would rather have it the other way: I implement new things but don't include them in the regular updates (only shipping bug fixes) and then I add - !bang! - 20 new things to a specific release?

The way to do it is to add a new thing to each bug fix. Then charge say $20 for the bug fix because of something new included.

ben

QuoteI assume you would rather have it the other way
definitely not. The way you handle it is great. New features when they are ready.

I didn't wanna be offensive.
I was just curious about what's coming next, that's all.  :(

Mario

I understand.

But before all the big companies switched to software subscription services, the typical modus operandi was:

1. Ship a new version.
2. Ship bug fixes and tiny enhancements.
3. Develop new features and enhancements in a separate branch of the software
4. Include all new features in a new major version and charge all users who want it.

Now, with subscription and pay-per-year / per-month scenarios, even the big vendors ship enhancements with their regular versions. No need anymore to keep hold them back until the next chargeable release is ready. Basically, all software is now always in Beta Test... :)

For now I have no plans to offer IMatch as a monthly or annual subscription. I just ship updates every four weeks, adding new things as they are finished. If bad bugs are found, I may even ship updates the other day. About once a year I will charge for an update. The previous version will _not_ stop working when you don't buy the upgrade, you will just not get any more updates or official support.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator