File View Taking So Long To Populate (after opening the database)

Started by Darius1968, July 31, 2013, 03:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I have compacted my database, and it completed successfully with no errors.  After that, opening the database has the same symptom as before, that being that the initializing phase seems to complete in a reasonable amount of time, but for thumbnails of files to populate the file window takes like 3 min. or so.  What gives? 

Mario

It would help to give us some more details. For example if your database has 5,000 images or 100,000  ;)
Which panels do you have open, how is your file window layout configured (attach a screen shot).

Please also switch IMatch to debug logging (Help > Support > Debug Logging) and then repeat the slow operation. Zip and attach the log file here. This will show us what takes how long on your system.

When IMatch opens a database it has a lot of things to do. For example, it may need to re-calculate all categories, all collections, pull metadata in massive quantities from the database (all this depends on which view opens on start, which panels you have open, how your file window layout is configured, etc.). A large share of this information needs to be loaded only once and then IMatch keeps it in memory.

The initial load is very disk intensive. If your disk is slow or there is other software interfering (most likely your virus checker) performance can degrade. Please first ensure that your virus checker is not constantly scanning the IMatch database file or the files IMatch temporarily creates in the same folder as the database. If you load IMatch twice in a row, and the second load is much faster, this is because Windows has parts of the database in the disk cache already and the hard disk is not the bottleneck anymore...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BenAW

Quote from: Darius1968 on July 31, 2013, 03:24:29 AMbut for thumbnails of files to populate the file window takes like 3 min. or so.  What gives?
Have you selected "Never Pause" for the View you're using when closing the dbase?
This combined with hierarchy "Show All Levels" can easily explain the 3 minute wait you mention.

As an example:
I have 19.400 images in my dbase. When using Hierarchy "Show All Levels" and displaying @All in Category View,
IM5 has to display 221.880 images. So using the Pause setting makes some sense ;-)