Thumbnail migration from 3.6 to 5.4

Started by louisetlouise, October 17, 2015, 04:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louisetlouise

I converted my 3.6 database to 5.4. When creating the 5.4 database I chose a thumbnail size of 300. The conversion went well. However the thumbnail that displays in the file window is tiny and definitely not 300 pixels. I checked the database properties and it indicates 300 pixels for thumbnail size and shows a size much bigger than what I have. Here is a small image to indicate what I mean.

Any idea what causes this or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Hi,

please choose a user name that is not your email.
Communities like this are scanned by SPAM bots for email addresses, and you want to keep your email invisible.
You can change your user name via the Profile link in the toolbar above.

Do you see such small thumbnails for all your files?

Note that the thumbnail size you have selected for your IMatch 5 database does not affect the thumbnails imported during the conversion process. The database converter does not re-create thumbnails, it just copies them. If the thumbnail was 160 pixel in the IMatch 3 database, it will also be that size in IMatch 5.

What happens when you select the file and then press <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5> and use the "Force Rescan" option?#
This reloads the file, re-created the thumbnail with the current settings in your IMatch 5 database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

louisetlouise

Thank you Mario,

When I do a force rescan it fixes the problem. However I am now facing a more serious problem trying to force rescan all images in the database. The process crashes my system repeatedly after a few minutes of activity and typically approximately a thousand files rescanned. I have no other applications running and the virus scan is disabled. I have more than 21000 files to rescan and it is extremely annoying. My computer restarts in a very messy state. The same has happened once during the conversion. I would appreciate any help. I include the log file. My computer has never crashed before is about 2 years of operation.

P.S. I do not seem to have the option of changing my username even if the Help file pretends I could. I will delete this account and recreate a new one after this problem is fixed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ferdinand

Quote from: louisetlouise2@gmail.com on October 18, 2015, 01:39:17 PM
P.S. I do not seem to have the option of changing my username even if the Help file pretends I could.

No you can't, but Mario can if you tell him what username you want.

It's his day off today   ;D   ,  so he will have plenty of time to attend to this. 

Mario

Quote from: louisetlouise2@gmail.com on October 18, 2015, 01:39:17 PM
When I do a force rescan it fixes the problem. However I am now facing a more serious problem trying to force rescan all images in the database. The process crashes my system repeatedly after a few minutes of activity

When you index files in IMatch your computer crashes / reboots? Not just IMatch? How unique, never heart about such a thing. Strange.

Which kind of images do you process?

Video files perhaps?
Or PDF files?

Video codecs and the PDF thumbnail generator installed by Adobe sometimes crash with damaged or incompatible files.
If you process RAW images, which codecs do you have installed?

Your log file only shows a normal IMatch start, it is not from a session where IMatch indexed files so it does not tell me much.

Maybe IMatch puts too much stress on your system? Unlikely with such a small database, but when the computer crashes (really reboots) the problem is most likely something that shows up only under stress, when CPU, disks and memory are utilized fully. Such stress issues may not show up during regular usage.

You can try to reduce the stress generated by IMatch by limiting the number of background processes used when indexing files. See this article in the IMatch knowledge base for details:

http://www.photools.com/3225/configuring-process-control-slow-media-cd-rom-dvd-nas/

Set both values to 1 and then see if your system remains stable.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I have changed your display name to louisetlouise. Let me know if you want another one.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

louisetlouise

An update to my problem. I applied the settings to go single thread and surprisingly the process ran faster. However the system kept on crashing. It shutdowns completely and does not reboot. I continued with 2000-3000 files processed each time until it was over with the metadata (after about 10 crashes). Then for the second part (Adding and Updating Files) it went through all my files without any problem. The problem is really with Importing Metadata.

I now have a functional database. I will continue exploring it hoping it remains stable. If it could be useful, my computer has for processor an AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core processor 4.00 GHz, 16 GB of RAM and run Windows 7 Professional. As mentioned previously it never crashed before.

BTW I only have JPEG and TIFF files in my collection.

I will now get back to trying to understand Attributes.

Have a good day.

Mario

IMatch 5 is now available for almost two years (including the Alpha/Beta test). I have never heart about a computer actually rebooting or shutting down...

IMatch may crash occasionally when it encounters a badly corrupted image. Or ExifTool may crash, hang. But that's always local to IMatch and IMatch either recovers, or crashes 'properly', offering a DUMP file to send to me for analysis. Sometimes IMatch hangs because the Windows thumbnail services no longer respond when IMatch asks Windows to produce a thumbnail for a video file or a PDF. The problem is then usually the installed video codec or the Adobe PDF component which fails to process the PDF file. But that's rare.

From experience, if a computer running W7 or later spontaneously reboots, the reason is usually a driver or the system RAM. Did you check the Windows Event Log for details? Usually Windows reports there something before it reboots, and this may indicate the system component which caused the reboot.

Attributes are basically a way to create your own database inside the IMatch database, for a wide range of purposes.

If you just started with DAM, make sure you understand what metadata like XMP is (stored in your files) and whether or not you should use it. To store keywords, descriptions etc. for your files, metadata is always the better choice - because it's stored in the image and thus available to other applications as well.

Working with IMatch Attributes allows you to create an independent data store and to store exactly the data you want, in the way you want it. Across all file formats.

I have explained that in the help file in more detail.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JasCarter

I know this is an old thread, but since it addresses exactly the problem I've been having, I thought I'd give it a bump.

I've just migrated a datebase of around 38,000 images from 3.6 to 5.6 (yes, I know, I'm a bit behind the curve...). I'd done a number of test runs with small trial databses to get everything sorted concerning categories, ratings, labels and so on. But when I ran the entire database conversion, I couldn't understand why the thumbnails in the new 5.6 database were so small. I had 300px as the thumbnail size in the settings, but crucially (as I now realise) this was for both the trial 3.6 database and the new 5.6 one. I was about to post a query about the problem when I found this thread, and particularly Mario's comment "Note that the thumbnail size you have selected for your IMatch 5 database does not affect the thumbnails imported during the conversion process. The database converter does not re-create thumbnails, it just copies them. If the thumbnail was 160 pixel in the IMatch 3 database, it will also be that size in IMatch 5." When I tried the "Force Re-scan" option, the thumbnail images appear as I wanted them.  8)
--
James Carter

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JasCarter

No, no question - I just wanted to acknowledge the help you gave through the forum, which answered my query about thumbnail sizes.
--
James Carter

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator