New update nag - can't be turned off (anymore)?

Started by guentergulasch, February 04, 2016, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guentergulasch

Hello Community, maybe somebody can help ...?

After I updated to IMatch 5.5 (5.5.8) I've regularly been getting update nags, even though I've opted not to get them. Under Preferences/Application/Settings there's an option "Check for updates" which I have set to "No". Up until version 5 that worked fine.  - But now IMatch is ignoring my choice and seems to be constantly phoning home, "secretly" checking my current version and possibly doing god knows what else over the internet "behind my back". :-)) The program has also planted a bright green signpost thingy in the bottom left-hand corner of the interface. That's now sitting there, and I can't get rid of it.

How can I get the option  "Check for updates - No" to actually do what it says? Any ideas? As mentioned above, before version 5.5 that was no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Andreas

Mario

IMatch does not transfer anything to my web server (except your IP address., which is inevitable).
Geez. German paranoia... ;)

You can do the same as IMatch by following this link:

https://secure.photoolsweb.com/customerweb/versioncheck.php?product=1

IMatch just downloads a small XML file which contains the current version number and maybe a short description.
Then it compares the number of the version you are running with the version on the server. If there is a newer version, you will be notified.

IMatch does this check by default once a week, and if an update was found, the reminder will 'stick' until you have updated.
Disabling the update check after an update has been found does not hide the update available message, if this is what you try to do.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

guentergulasch

Of course, just because no one is following you doesn't mean you're not paranoid.  :)

And I wonder what this means: "IMatch just downloads a small XML file which contains ... maybe a short description." Maybe? A description? Of what ...?

But seriously: I would like a program, and also IMatch, NOT to do anything at all - except work and do the job that I use it for. I don't see any necessity for a program to log onto anywhere, just because I started it on my PC, especially if it doesn't ask me beforehand or even tell me that it's doing it.

And what about that option I mentioned - "check for updates"? Another one that has no funciton and is just there to make it look good? :) :) As I said in my previous post, in earlier versions of IMatch I was never bothered with all this, it just did what it said it would do, ie not check for updates, not notify me of anything and just leave me alone to do my work. But now ...?

Actually it's not so much about paranoia - I just don't want to be automatically notified about updates and constantly be bothered by a program wanting me to do things that I don't. I'd just like to enjoy the freedom of checking for myself if after a while I think that an update might be a good idea - and doing that when I want to and not when a program wants to.

Is it really imposssible to stop IMatch doing all this stuff, now in version 5.5? If so, why?

Nix für ungut, aber es nervt halt ein bisschen ...
Cheers
A.

Mario

1. Install the update. The update message will go away.
2. Disable future checks.
3. Done.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

guentergulasch

Thanks for the tip, Mario.

But it looks like this is a misunderstanding. Number 2 ("Disable future checks") is already done - and it's not working. That was the basis of my initial question.

It was okay up to version 5.4.18, but since the day I bought version 5 (more precisely version 5.5.8) IMatch has been checking on me and the version I'm running, and I regularly get those messages. :( Well the program probably checked me before that too, but at least it didn't nag me with weekly update requests. Anyway, I've had checks disabled ever since version 3, but am now nevertheless being checked.

So, it looks like nothing can be done - except resort to an earlier version where the Disable thing did what it said it would do. Or any other ideas?

Cheers
Andreas

Mario

IMatch currently checks for an update once a week, even if the check for update option is disabled. Since IMatch 5.6 is quite new, I reduced the default 30 days check to 7, to make sure all users get timely notification about available updates. Many users tend to stick with old versions, until they run into a bug or they miss a feature. In many cases, the bug was fixed a long time ago, and all they need to do is to update to the most recent version.

I don't see why this seems to be such a problem for you. But yes, for now, IMatch will ping my server once a week and download the info about the current version. I may reduce this to once every 30 days once the update cycles are again up to a month or more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

guentergulasch

"IMatch currently checks for an update once a week, even if the check for update option is disabled."

Oh. Well, good to know - after so and so many messages asking ... ;-)

So in a nutshell: The option is there, but it doesn't work. Hm. Strange, I think, that a program shows the user dummy settings that don't do anything. But I won't ask why this time ... :-\

Nevertheless I don't really see the point in "forcing" all these checks and weekly nags on the use. I do think software should offer the paying customer a choice in these things, just like it does with other settings. But if it doesn't, well ok, then it doesn't. Just a pity that there's no information about that anywhere and the user has to spend ages trying out all the options and settings and wondering what he's doing wrong, when in fact the setting is only cosmetic.

Thanks anyway
A.

PS: "I don't see why this seems to be such a problem for you."
I think I explained why several times in great detail. But no matter.

Mario

1 check per week.
If an update is found, IMatch will tell you. If you consider this to be disturbing, I'm sorry. Seems you are the only user. I will keep the current mode unless a larger number of users starts to complain. I will switch back to one mandatory check once a months when I consider the release cycles to be stable.

I suggest you update when updates are released. This keeps your installation current.
I you don't trust me and think I'm stealing your precious whatever data, run a network monitor and see how IMatch downloads a small XML file from the server which only contains the current version number, release date and a comment. IMatch then check  locally if your version is older and then enables the notification (What you call 'nag'). If you are satisfied and have verified that IMatch indeed does not transmit any data (except for the IP address) you can safely move on.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator